Forza Horizon 4 crashes at startup with Hang Type : Activation

Hello!

Not me, but a friend I’ve been trying to get into horizon

So, basically he purchased Horizon 4 Ultimate Edition via Microsoft Store, downloaded and couldn’t even start the game - crashed after the launch screen. And every time it’s the same error in Even Log - HANG TYPE : Activation

So, we did a clean W10 1909 install and IT LAUNCHED. For two evenings. In the morning of 3rd day he tried to launch it - and the same crash with the same error. NOTHING was changed, the pc was left on overnight with nothing running.

Checking the events through the night - some apps were reconfigured, mainly Cisco and chrome, and MS Get Help (store app) was installed. Rolling those back changed nothing.

Also, while checking outgoing network traffic, it is the same as mine. (I also Have Horizon 4 Ultimate, Win 10 PC )

Also, I checked Event Logs concerning to Microsoft Store Operations, where it can be seen that winstoreauth.cpp asks for a license check, and it goes through. Only errors are for car pass cars, which say that licenses do not match. The same entries are present on my system, but again - everything works.

Every fix on the web has been tried (wsreset, registering forza again, redownloading all MS Store default apps and xbox services, changing Ownership - the works), but nothing has even changed the error code.

Reinstalling Windows again, sadly, is not an option.

Thank you for any help, you can give.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Didn't work for me, unfortunately.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Unfortunately its just a case of waiting for the Devs however I don't actually think they will fix it. 

If you can get your money back I would - Just remember this when Forza Horizon 5 comes out or playground games make another game.

Its been an issue for Forza horizon 3, 4 and motorsport 7.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, if it's been 9 months like some people are saying then I don't have much faith that they'll fix it, either. I guess I can be patient for a couple more weeks and hope for a miracle, but there are definitely other games I could put my money towards if it's going to remain as is. I have to say I'm very displeased with the turnaround time already compared to other technical issues I've experienced from other software developers.

Thanks for your input.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello friends,

I had the same issue with Hang Type: Activation. I just formatted my PC by clearing and formatting my two hard disks (One SSD which includes my operating system and one mechanical hard disk for games and other stuff), and miraculously it worked!

I really didn't know how this happened, so I just thought that when I format my PC, Windows creates a folder in "Users" with your computer name (usually it is your name with some of the letters missing if your name is too long), so I change that name with using a guide from a YouTube video. However, this time I did this operation before I start to install my programs. In other words, I changed my user name folder just after I installed Windows. That is one thing that I think that game fails to activate but I am not so sure about this. However, it's worth to try I think. (This thing is for the people if anyone does the same user name folder change operation).

The other thing that I find while searching throughout regedit. There is a field on:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Store\ContentId

which contains some ID that I did not understand. While I was looking at the Value Data field, I realised that they are really similar to the "Owner" of the game files in the "Security" tab in "Properties" when you right click to the game installation folder. Maybe that is the reason game crashes because game cannot find the "Owner" of the folder. Maybe it is worth checking the "Value Data" field and compare if the "Value Data" matches with the folder's "Owner".

I hope this works for someone, or everyone (I only can just hope it :'()

crysispeed - Gamer

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey guys none of the options I've seen here nor on the Forza forums nor on Reddit have gotten me anywhere and I am just as frustrated as you guys because just last week my Forza Horizon 4 was running as smooth as it could be. BUT, I did manage to get the game consistently working with a catch, so take this as a lead, with a side of salt. xd

Open up System Configuration (Search for msconfig or type msconfig after pressing Win Key + R), set it to diagnostic startup and RESTART

Once you've restarted you may launch FH4 to verify that it still crashes, that's fine.

Go back into System Configuration or msconfig and set it back to normal startup. Now, press apply or okay but DO NOT RESTART YOUR PC.

After that attempt to launch FH4 and after several tries, it should then continue to launch and not crash.

Note: When you restart your PC after this your FH4 will be back to its normal crashing state. Although I did get it to successfully launch once after several attempts, I can no longer launch it again without it staying on the splash screen with the McLaren Senna and Land Rover for a minute or two before killing itself.

Keep in mind this may not work for everyone but it did for me so hopefully this points us toward the right direction. Best regards everyone!

P.S. I've also added my error log just in case even though everyone else who didn't have the audio device/software or Riva statistics issue got the same error (this is for the normal startup before I did the procedure above)

Log Name:      Application

Source:        Application Hang

Date:          30/06/2020 4:13:58 AM

Event ID:      1002

Task Category: (101)

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      DESKTOP-0LLLNDI

Description:

The program ForzaHorizon4.exe version 0.0.0.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.

Process ID: 3fc

Start Time: 01d64e51ae19bc0c

Termination Time: 4294967295

Application Path: D:\WindowsApps\Microsoft.SunriseBaseGame_1.423.6.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\ForzaHorizon4.exe

Report Id: 3f56b3ae-1be7-4f9e-8e5c-1c52f85d6cdb

Faulting package full name: Microsoft.SunriseBaseGame_1.423.6.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

Faulting package-relative application ID: SunriseReleaseFinal

Hang type: Activation

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Application Hang" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1002</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>101</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-06-29T20:13:58.9811444Z" />

<EventRecordID>2101</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>DESKTOP-0LLLNDI</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>ForzaHorizon4.exe</Data>

<Data>0.0.0.0</Data>

<Data>3fc</Data>

<Data>01d64e51ae19bc0c</Data>

<Data>4294967295</Data>

<Data>D:\WindowsApps\Microsoft.SunriseBaseGame_1.423.6.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\ForzaHorizon4.exe</Data>

<Data>3f56b3ae-1be7-4f9e-8e5c-1c52f85d6cdb</Data>

<Data>Microsoft.SunriseBaseGame_1.423.6.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe</Data>

<Data>SunriseReleaseFinal</Data>

<Data>Activation</Data>

<Binary>410063007400690076006100740069006F006E0000000000</Binary>

</EventData>

</Event>

Sorry this didn't help.

Just found this thread,, can confirm that its definitely an issue that gets quite a few people. I have had this issue since early 2019, and went through the worst roundabout trying to fix it. Initially contacted Microsoft support, who deferred me to submitting a ticket since I'm on PC. Took Forza support 6 months to answer any of my five tickets. Ignored my reply the first time. Second time around they ask for my debug info, etc (to which it was an Activation error like this), gave me absolutely zero feedback, and told me to go back to Microsoft support. Really hoping they care in the slightest to fix this issue, because I'm quite disappointed

Sorry this didn't help.

So, not having had an issue with the base game since I bought it somewhere in 2019, I recently bought the Ultimate DLC upgrade and now I have this problem.
It ran fine the first two days, but now it hangs on launch and then gets terminated by Windows.
I can't find any working fixes, no concrete solutions by devs, nothing.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi

I dont know if this will help 

1.) but make sure your gpu has the correct path of the game 

2.)user revo uninstall to completely remove the game on registry level.

3.) if you using multiple drives in your machine make sure there is no duplicate folders on the other dirvers

4.) run powershell as administrator  and reset your microsoft store

5.) reset your play and paste this

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

to reset power shell

6.)  after your Microsoft store reset go to setting enable all of the following automatic updates , live video play  , automatic sign in .

7.)remove all link drives and accounts.

8.) sign in again if you and try and download.

Sorry this didn't help.

no 5 typo apologies reset Microsoft store with command mentioned.

Got to services put windows update service on automatic 

run command in power-shell as administrator

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

to reset microsoft store. (ignore errors in red)

Got to servicess put windows update service on manual proceed to step 6.

Sorry this didn't help.

Exactly the same with me. This will never get fixed either. Turn 10 should really take a long hard look at themselves and actually make the game playable for the thousands that cant play it instead of just adding some crappy Holdens like they did this month

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 15, 2020 Views 2,994 Applies to: