format c drive from windows 7 installation disk

My son placed a large, strong magnet next to my PC.  Gee, it won't boot up now.  (It makes a scraping noise too.  Would a magnet cause a head crash?)   I can boot it from the Windows 7 installation disk, but cannot install Windows.  I think I need to format my C drive, but I don't know how to do it.  I have the drivers and utilities disk that came with the machine.  It contains format, so I should be able to run from the CD and format the C drive.  Any suggestions on what options to give for the command?  The laptop is a Dell Studio 1535 with a 160GB hard drive.  The exact specs say: "160GB, S2, 5.4, 9.5, WD-ML160"  

The format command syntax is: 

format drive: [/F:size] [/N:sectors /T:tracks] [/1] [/4] [/8] [/A] [[/B | /S]] [/Q] [/V:[label]]

I don't think I need to use /F, not sure about /B, if I need /N and /T I don't know what values to give, /V I can give any label I want, seems like the rest of the options are old and don't matter.  

Can I just do a quick format /Q and be done with it?  

Can I even format my C drive from this CD?

Is all lost?

Suggestions?

Thanks

Answer
Answer

A scraping noise is generally indicative of a drive failure.

If you have the Dell recovery disk if you boot from that disk just follow the instructions, if that install/recovery fails there would usually be some err msg, eg no drive found

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 16, 2020 Views 1,079 Applies to: