Forgot Windows PIN; sign-in options are not available on login screen

I work in the computer lab of a senior center, where we help community members learn about their devices and keep them connected. This has been especially important during the pandemic.

I have a member of our center who has forgotten their Windows PIN. Many times over the course of a month before the member came to see us, they tried over and over to get into their laptop. When I opened the laptop, the login screen asked for me to enter "A1B2C3," which I did. Then it asked for me to enter a PIN. The member has absolutely no idea what their PIN is. After several more tries, Windows asked for a "challenge phrase," but the member also has no idea what their phrase is. The links I found on microsoft.com did not seem to address the situation of a missing "sign-in options." The links I found in this forum seemed to indicate there would always be "sign-in options" on the Windows login screen, but try as we might, it never appears. We also never see "I forgot my PIN."

The screen:

We have rebooted. We are connected to the internet. The member knows their Microsoft account ID and password, and we have logged into the member's Microsoft account on another computer.

Thank you.

Hello Marty, how are you?
My name is Paloma B., I am very happy to be able to try to help you in the best possible way.

I understand that you have lost access to your user, I'm sorry about that.

It really is very frustrating, but unfortunately, without access to the computer, we are somewhat limited in trying to find a solution.

In this case the only way to resume access is to apply a Windows Reset so that you can configure, reconfigure it and resume access, please follow the procedures below.

Step 1

Create installation media on this computer or other if necessary.

Follow the guidelines on the link below, please:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

Step 2

Configure in your computer's BIOS to start via the USB installation.

***If you have any questions on how to start the USB installation, you can refer to this guide please.
https://www.groovypost.com/howto/bios-uefi-setu...

1. Boot with the Pen Drive;

2. When the installation window appears, click Repair your computer;

3. Click Troubleshooting;

4. Advanced options;

5. Click Restore PC > Choose between "Keep Files" or "Remove All".

I await news.

If these procedures helped you in any way, please click on "I solved my problem" and also mark as an answer, so you can help others users.

We will always be available for whatever you need!

----------
Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 17, 2024 Views 757 Applies to: