Forgot Admin password for Vista Home Premium!

I was trying to install Flash in my laptop but this thing popped up saying "User account controll" and " Windows needs your permission to continue". Also I notice my Administrator account is my guest account and I have no clue of what the password is. But I am using standard user right now with a password. Please help me!!

A. - Guest Account - Do not use the Guest account you see in the User Accounts applet in Control Panel. The Guest account is a special system account, not one meant for when you are feeling hospitable. It is disabled by default in Windows XP, Vista, Linux, Unix, and OS X for a reason.

From TechNet:

"The Guest account is intended for users who require temporary access to the system. However, if this account is enabled, a security risk may exist because an unauthorized user could gain anonymous access to the system through this account."

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb418978(TechNet.10).aspx

So if you enabled Guest, disable it now and create a Standard/Limited (Vista, XP Pro/XP Home) for your visitors. Call the new user account something like "Visitor".

B. Forgotten password - You can change your password to something you will remember from another administrative user's account. If you only had one administrative user account and you've forgotten the password, you can use one of the methods below instead. You might then want to follow the general recommendations for setting up user accounts in Vista that I'll give you at the end of this post.

Doing all this requires a certain level of computer skills. You know yourself best and whether taking the machine to a competent local computer tech (not a BigComputerStore/GeekSquad type of place) is the better solution for you.

Method 1 - If you have a Vista installation DVD (not a recovery DVD) you can boot the system with it. Select the default language, then choose "Repair your computer". Then select "Command Prompt". At the command prompt type:

net user administrator /active:yes
net user [insert your administrative user account's name here] [insert new user password like 1234 here]

[Note: Do not type the brackets!]

Now you will be able to log into your administrative user account using the password you set; i.e., 1234. If you don't have a Vista installation DVD you can either make a bootable Vista Repair DVD from the file at this link:

http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/

[deleted information that is against ToU from this very old post]

3.  Log into your administrative user account (not the Built-in Administrator) which will either require no password or something simple like "1234".

If you used Method 1, after you have logged into your administrative user account you should disable the built-in Administrator again for security purposes:

Start Orb>Search box>type: cmd
When cmd appears in Results above, right-click it and choose "Run as administrator" [OK]. Now you will get the command prompt. At the command prompt type:

net user administrator /active:no [enter]

Exit the command prompt.

General Recommendations For Setting Up Users In Vista:

You absolutely do not want to have only one user account. Like XP and all other modern operating systems, Vista is a multi-user operating system with built-in system accounts such as Administrator, Default, All Users, and Guest. These accounts should be left alone as they are part of the operating system structure.

You particularly don't want only one user account with administrative privileges on Vista because the built-in Administrator account (normally only used in emergencies) is disabled by default. If you're running as Administrator for your daily work and that account gets corrupted, things will be Difficult. It isn't impossible to activate the built-in Administrator to rescue things, but it will require third-party tools and working outside the operating system.

The user account that is for your daily work should be a Standard user, with the extra administrative user (call it something like "CompAdmin" or "Tech" or the like) only there for elevation purposes. After you create "CompAdmin", log into it and change your regular user account to Standard. Then log back into your regular account.

If you want to go directly to the Desktop and skip the Welcome Screen with the icons of user accounts, you can do this:

Start Orb>Search box>type: netplwiz [enter]
Click on Continue (or supply an administrator's password) when prompted by UAC

Uncheck the option "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer". Select a user account to automatically log on by clicking on the desired account to highlight it and then hit OK. Enter the correct password for that user account (if there is one) when prompted. Leave it blank if there is no password (null).

MS-MVP - Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello yamamoto1,

"In the End The Love You Take, Is Equal To The Love You Make" (The Beatles last song from thier last album, Abbey Road.)
"In the End The Love You Take, Is Equal To The Love You Make"

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 23, 2023 Views 16,815 Applies to: