Forced upgrade to Windows 10

I have been continually getting an attempt to force an upgrade to 10 on my Win 7 home premium.  Lately the forced upgrade happens when I have the program on sleep or am away from my computer (desktop) for an hour or more.  Every time this happens it gets almost completed but not quite.  I close it out and when I restart my computer it reverts to the original bios of 01/01/2011 and most of my recent stuff is gone.  However, when I reset the time and date, it all comes back with small changes - very inconvenient.  Is there any way to completely stop the attempted forced upgrades?  I am having to completely turn off my computer on every use - very inconvenient - and even then if I walk away from my computer on the new restart, the attempt to force the upgrade comes back.  How annoying can this be?

Any absolute help will be most appreciated. And much, much thanks.

If looking to block Windows 10 upgrade, GWX Control Panel is available:

http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html

Select Downloads on the right-hand-side of the page and then download: 1.7.2.0

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Big question: Has Win10 install been initiated?  If it has, you may have no choice but to re-install Win7.

Assuming it has not started:

Prevent Windows 10

If you do not want Windows 10 and wish to prevent it from being installed on your computer, follow this exactly as laid out.  I have done this on 150 client computers and it works flawlessly, and has continued to that since Spring, 2015.

Once you have followed the procedure below, and set Windows update to NEVER, once a month, start Windows Update manually, check for updates.  When you get the list of “important” updates, right-click and choose hide on EVERY update in the Windows grouping that does not describe itself as Security.  Allow the Malicious software removal tool or any C++ updates.  Do not use ANY optional updates or place a checkmark in any unchecked updates.  Proceed to update.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

March 27, 2016

Microsoft has committed to support Windows 7 until at least January, 2020.  Most of your current computers will last that long.

The Windows 10 installation promises to allow return to Windows 7 within 30 days.  That return process is flawed and sometimes requires re-installation of Windows 7.  For some owners without a re-usable Microsoft product key or a factory restore partition on their computers, it results in a useless thing that used to be a computer.

A lot of people have tried Windows 10 and decided they want their Windows 7 back.  If you are one of those, once you have Windows 7 back, you will need to take steps to keep it that

You must adopt a protective stance to prevent your Windows 7 system from becoming something you do not want.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3043656/microsoft-windows/first-aid-for-forced-windows-10-upgrades.html

Change the Windows Update Setting to Never check for updates.  Once a month, on the 2nd Tuesday, they receive an email from me advising to manually start WU and then hide every update except for ones specifically labeled Security.  In other words, only security updates will be applied.  In all of 2015, there was not a single update that  improved Windows 7.

Some may feel uncomfortable with the setting — NEVER.  Well you needn’t be.  Never means you are never giving Microsoft a chance to decide what you download and install.  It should NOT mean you will never update.  The difference is that now you take control and the responsibility of updating of Windows and Office.

Read Woody Leonhard (one of the most respected writers in the trade) 

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2983777/microsoft-windows/how-to-clean-the-windows-10-crapware-off-your-windows-7-or-81-pc.html?nsdr=true Woody calls the Windows 10 download “crapware.”  Woody’s advice is that if you have Windows 7, keep it, you are better off by far.

If you see the Windows flag on the bottom right of your screen, chances are pretty high, your computer already has the Win10 files. Even if you do not, it may be on your computer shortly anyway.  Here are instructions on how to rid yourself of it:

First download and run GWX Control panel.  http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

It will allow you to prevent any future operating system upgrades and delete downloaded Win10 files, but it will not remove all of Microsoft’s spyware that is already installed on your computer.

The following process will remove those features which you do not need.

This process works, but it only works if you do all the steps and do them in order.

1. Take Windows Update off automatic — Never check for updates
  2. Windows Update, Installed updates, WAIT a long time till you see the green bar complete its long trip to the right
  3. Now, search for each of the listed updates, uninstall them.  You must wait until the list is re-created each time. You need to wait till you see the number at the bottom of the search window exceed a few hundred.
  4. If there are others you want to uninstall, click Later
  5. Then, clear the search box and after the list is again displayed (the number at the bottom again exceeds several hundred), enter another KB number.
  6. Restart the PC.  It may take a long time to process this.

If you choose “check for updates, but let me choose whether to download and install them”, Microsoft will download “important” updates like KB3035583 to your computer.  It will be pre-checked — selected.  Unless you check Windows Update (WU) and discover this BEFORE you shut down, it will install it during the shut-down process.  

List of updates that if already installed should be removed:

KB3035583
KB2952664
KB2977759
KB3021917
KB3075249
KB3080149
KB3083710
KB3083324
KB3090045
KB3112343
KB3123862
KB3022345
KB3068708

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello and thank you for the information.

I'd just like to point out that I already had Windows 10 and liked it just fine until it outright stopped working. I started my PC up one day and I couldn't click on anything. I had to force it to shut down, when I restarted it, it gave me a message that there was no alternative but to roll back to Windows 7. I never figured out exactly what even happened.

I'm actually curious why they're so anxious to upgrade everyone to Win 10 as I think it'd be in their own best interest to try to sell it and not give it away.

Anyway, thanks again for the info. I'll probably be willing to try Win 10 again in a few years after they've had some time to do some refinements, but for now, I'll stick with 7.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you carried out the changes to your computer that were recommended?  If you do not, you might find yourself back at the same place with Win10 on your computer that does not work.

I am sorry for your problem, but would like to hear that your computer is problem free for the foreseeable future.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Carried out the changes and all is well. There's a notification in the action center but it isn't trying to get me to update anymore.

Thanks again!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Some time ago, Windows 10 became so problematic that I had to reformat my computer, I lost stuff. I HATE that. But I was glad to be back to Windows 8, then soon in 8.1.

So, I'm minding my business, binge-watching a series on NetFlix, when all of a sudden, my computer shut itself off and upgraded me to Windows 10.

Serously, Microsoft, ****? I'm really not happy being railroaded back to Windows 10. Particularly considering all I was willing to give up to get back to Windows 8.1.

Microsoft, you SUCK.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I apologize for the inconvenience.

If you wish to roll back to previous version you may refer to the article given below and after rolling back try to uninstall the update to stop Windows 10 upgrade.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/1235b5b0-bf94-4b77-9cbd-1c1a8337070c/going-back-to-windows-7-or-windows-8.1

Uninstall the Windows Update as follow:

Remove the Windows update KB 3035583

Hope this information helps. Please let us know if you need any other assistance with Windows in future. We will be happy to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 8, 2021 Views 1,488 Applies to: