Forced Login after Update

Tonight, when I turned on my laptop, I was confronted with the Login Screen, even though I've set my computer to not need it (through the netplwiz command). I've noticed this happens both when I haven't used my laptop for a few days (more than three at a stretch) and every time there's a Windows Update. When I go check my settings (through netplwiz), it's set to not require Username/Password.

Tonight, there was a special extra treat: the system demanded I create a PIN as well; I couldn't proceed unless I created a PIN I will never use. I managed to circumvent the demand by rebooting.

I have never had this problem with my desktop once I set it to not require a Username/Password to log in; only my laptop is affected.

Is there a way to permanently disable the requirement for Username/Password and PIN on my laptop, as I seem to have managed on my desktop?

Hi,
I am Vinu, an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user like you. I will try to help you with this issue.

Try creating a local user and then remove its password completely by any of the methods mentioned here: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/14776-remov...

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.
Vinu chandran

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I tried all 3 of the options. On reboot, I was immediately asked for my Microsoft Username/Password. Needless to say, this didn't work.

I'm curious why I would have to create a Local User account on my laptop when I've never had to on my desktop.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In Windows 10 when you set up a user with your Microsoft email, that same password is used to login to the computer as well. So removing password of that user is not possible.

That is why we should switch to a local user, where there is no email linking so that we can set blank password also. You mean that option also didn't work for you?
Vinu chandran

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've waited to respond to see if/when I was forced to use my Username/Password Login again - that would be tonight. I also got the system demand to create PIN, which I did not do.

In answer to your question, I made a local user account - and when I rebooted I was asked for my Username and Password, same as usual. I removed the local account and was able to boot up and didn't have to log in.

HOWEVER, tonight - three days later - I have to login again.

Why is it I never had to create a local user account on my desktop in order to avoid having to log in after every update, but that's what I'm being told to do on my laptop?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 20, 2023 Views 850 Applies to: