Folder Permissions and creating a new folder to install software

Good morning;

I have a new computer, and it will not allow me to create a new subfolder in either the C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) folders.  i have Admin privileges.  I can create a directory in C to install them, but want to keep things organized.  Thank you.

Hi Lukes,
I am Sumit, an Independent Advisor and a 3 year Windows Insider MVP here to help.

I can create a new folder but that requires administrative privileges. What happens when you try to execute the same as given in the GIF?
Sumit

Always include PC Specs, Make and Model of the device. Ensure all the latest quality updates have been installed. It may take multiple replies to reach a satisfactory answer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello;

Thank you.   I am able to create a new folder in that manner, so i will use it as a work-around.  During the program installation, when i was prompted to choose the folder to install and i tried to create a new folder, it would not work. 

When i went to install in the directory i created, i got the message that i did not have write permissions for the directory. if i go to Properties -->Sharing --> Advanced Sharing, i supposedly have full permissions.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 31, 2021 Views 160 Applies to: