fltmgr.sys causing very high paged pool memory use since Win10 Creator Update

Hello,

I am hoping someone else has run into this issue...I have been searching online for days and found no answers.

Since the Creator update a couple of weeks back I have been getting "low memory" errors when trying to open games like Ghost Recon Wildlands.

While trouble shooting the memory issue I have manually shut down all running programs possible through Task manager and Task manager says the highest memory use is typically Windows Defender at 100mb or so...yet the memory tab indicates 12.5gig paged pool use.

When I loaded up Poolmon and ran it I got "FMfn" paged pool memory use at anything from 8.5-11.5gig. I have done this several times in the last two weeks and it's always the same pool tag FMfn causing the issue which ties to fltmgr.sys...something to do with Windows disk management.

I have checked my C drive (SSD) health with the Samsung drive software and it checks as good and runs at a healthy 525mbps read 300mbps write when I run the drive test. There is over 100gig of free space on the drive and AHCI is active on the drive.

My system is an Intel i7 3770k, 16gig memory, AMD Radeon R9 390 w/8gig memory and of course Windows10 Pro Version 1703 build 15063.296

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ed

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello Ed,

One possible reason why you are getting this error when you try to open games is that there may be a program affecting the Windows disk management after installing the Creators Update. To assist you with your concern, we suggest you to run the System File Checker tool to scan and resolve any system file corruptions that may be causing this issue.

We look forward for your response.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello John,

System file checker reported no issues found.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We appreciate your response. We need to make sure Windows is fully up to date and that you do the same for drivers (like your video driver). Since the SFC tool reported no issues, the next suggestion we have for you is to run the DISM tool. Windows updates, at times, may fail to install if there are corruption errors. The DISM may help you to fix some Windows corruption errors.

Regards.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello John,

I ran DISM and also manually shut down and restarted both the Background Intelligent Transfer Service and the Windows Update services.

It appears there was an update KB4020102 that was hung up which successfully installed after the DISM run and service restarts were completed.

Testing now but so far paged memory use has dropped below 1 gig and seems to be holding. I will post back in a couple of days with results.

Thanks

Ed

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for updating us with what happened. It's great to know everything works fine after running the DISM tool. In case you encounter any issues in the future, do not hesitate to let us know.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem, the manipulations didn't help. What next?
Also the sfc /scannow command raises this paged pool by 300 mb each time it is run. You can run it several times and paged pool keeps growing and growing. Haven't tried to run it till it takes all memory but the tendency is clear.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

It seems that I am experiencing the same issue in regards to the "FMfn" pool tag which is related to fltmgr.sys.

I have followed the steps described above, they did help me in lowering the Paged Pool memory size from what I have seen but it didn't resolve the problem. 

After about 6-8 hours, 12 GB of RAM fill up and programs start to crash due to lack of memory.

I have scanned the computer for viruses/malware and nothing came up, re-installed Windows 10 twice in the last 30 days and updated any outdated drivers.

I have the following system configuration:

P8P67-M PRO

I5 2500K

12 GB RAM

GTX 1080

1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD

Windows 10 Pro

All this started occurring after updating to the Creators Update.

No Windows Updates seem to be delayed/deferred.

I have been searching for a solution online for the last 30 - 40 days but no luck :(

Thank you,

Cristian

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Cristian,

There may be few reasons why you are experiencing fltmgr.sys causing very high paged pool memory usage. To isolate the issue, kindly answer the following questions first:

* What build do you currently have after having reinstalling Windows 10? You may refer to the Windows 10 update history to check if you have the latest build.

* What was the result when you ran SFC and DISM?

* Is your computer custom built or purchased directly from a manufacturer?

* It may also be a hardware failure issue since you were able to reinstall Windows and the issue still persisted. If the PC was from a manufacturer, you may ask assistance from the them in flushing the BIOS and see if this will fix this issue.

We look forward to your response.

Regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

One simple answer on all your assumptions. As I have returned to the previous build (anniversary).

Anniversary - no problem.

Creator's - problem.

Keep digging, the problem is with the update, NOT our hardware. Well, actually its with interaction of our hardware and the creator's update since the problem is not universal.

Also a clue, one of the latest insider builds solved the problem but the next build brought the problem back.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

- I have Windows 10 Pro Version 1703  Build 15063.483

- SFC result: Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

- DISM result: The restore operation completed successfully. The operation completed successfully.

- My computer is custom built and I did not have any problems with it before the Creators Update.

- My computer does not have any hardware failures.

Thank you,

Cristian

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 21, 2021 Views 5,062 Applies to: