flickering screen on dual monitors on Windows 10

Original title: Windows 10, dual monitors, DVI and HDMI

I have two monitors, an older Samsung (SyncMaster 245bw) and a new BenQ connected to an MD A8-7600 Radeon R7 adapter. There are 3 display ports on the computer - Analog (RGB), DVI and HDMI. The BenQ has an HDMI port, so I connect it that way. When I connect the Samsung through the analog port I can set up dual monitors and everything works fine. When I connect the Samsung through the DVI it goes black and the system promptly sees both monitors as one, but won't display anything except a black screen on the Samsung (so I can only see half the screen, displayed on the BenQ monitor). Rebooting has no effect.

Radeon settings sees both monitors no matter how they're connected, but Windows display settings refuses to see the Samsung when connected through DVI. It sees it just fine through Analog.

All drivers have been updated, btw.

Is it just that the Samsung is too old, or is there some work-around for what feels like a conflict in Windows. Is there a way to make the Radeon s/w control both monitors and take windows completely out of the equation?

Answer
Answer

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused. We are glad to help you.

First, I suggest you to connect the two monitors to the 3 different ports and cross-check, which setup is causing the black screen issue.

Also I suggest you to try the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1: I would suggest you to run “Hardware and Devices” troubleshooter to diagnose the exact issue.

Follow these steps to run the troubleshooter:

a. Press “Windows key + Q”.
b. Type “Troubleshooting” without quotes in the Search box and hit enter.
c. Select “Hardware and Sound” from the Troubleshooter Window.
d. Select “Hardware and Devices” under Devices option.
e. Follow the On Screen instructions.

Method 2: Go to safe mode with networking and reinstall the display/graphics driver.

Step 1: Follow the steps to enter Safe mode with networking:

1. Open the Settings menu and go to Update & security > Recovery > Advanced startup. Clicking Advanced startup will restart your PC in recovery mode.

2. Click Troubleshoot to see your advanced options.

3. In the Troubleshoot menu, click Advanced options. Click Startup Settings to change Windows' startup behavior.

4. In the Startup Settings menu, click the Restart button to restart your PC. Your PC will now restart.

5. To start up in Safe Mode with networking, press 5 or F5.

Step 2: Follow the steps to uninstall the Display driver:

1.      Press Windows Key + X key and click Device Manager.

2.      Expand ‘Display Adapters’.

3.      Right-click on the Display Adapter listed and click on ‘Uninstall’.

4.      Select the option to Delete driver software.

5.      Restart the computer after its uninstalled. 

Now reinstall the latest display driver from the computer manufacturer’s website and check.

Hope this information helps. Do get back to us with the updated status. We will be happy to assist you further.

Regards,

Jenith

37 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 28, 2023 Views 47,115 Applies to: