Fixing a DCOM problem identified in Event Viewer (Event ID: 10016)

Here is the EVENT VIEWER error I am attempting to resolve (Windows XP Pro SP3) :

Event Type:    Error
Event Source:    DCOM
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    10016
Date:        3/24/2011
Time:        8:41:17 AM
User:        NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
Computer:   Learning-ADF6F864
Description:
The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{5F36DC27-B076-4D0C-BD8C-7AEE14022193}
 to the user NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE SID (S-1-5-20).  This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Unquote

I found the following Microsoft instructions for correcting this error:

Grant the user permissions to start the COM component
Grant the user permissions to start the COM component.  To do this, follow these steps:
1. Click "Start", click "Run", type "regedit" in the "Open" box, and then click "OK".
2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\CLSID value.  "Note" In this subkey, "CLSID value" is a placeholder for the CLSID information that appears in the message.
3. In the right pane, double-click "AppID".
4. Click "Start", click "Run", type "dcomcnfg" in the "Open" box, and then click "OK".
If a windows Security alert message prompts y;ou to keep plocking the Microsoft Management Console program, click unblock the program.
5.In Component Services, double-click "Component Services", double-click "Computers", double-click "My Computer", and then click "DCOM Config".
6. In the details pane, locate the program by using the friendly name.
If the AppGuid identifier is listed instead of the friendly name, locate the program by using this dentifier.
7. Right-clickthe program and then click "Properties".
8. Click the "Security" tab.
9. In the "Launch and Activation Permissions" area, click "Customize", and then "Edit".
10. Click "Add", type the user's account name, and then click OK.
11. While the user is selected, click to select the "Allow" check boxes for the following items:
"Local Launch"
"Remote Launch"
"Local Activation"
"Remote Activation"
12. Clock "OK" two times.
13. Quit Registry Editor.
Unquote

I can follow the above instructions until I get to number 6. 

QUESTIONS:
What is the "friendly name" referred to in this action and/or how do I find out what it is?
What is the "AppGUID identifier?

I am somewhat embarrassed by not knowing what my user's account name is in instruction 10.

QUESTION:
Where can I locate my user's account name on my computer?

I think I am good to go on all of the other instructions.  

I welcome any help/guidance you send my way that relates to fixing this error.

((P.S. - My computer is owned, operated, and administered by one user - me.  I don't have to select administrator or user at start up on this computer.  The only connection associated with this computer is to a router that is connected to my  ISP.)

I. M. Learning
Answer
Answer

Hi,

The friendly name of a Windows computer is how a user recognizes the machine on the network. The friendly name is also shown in some software applications and in the system information. Changing the friendly name can be done on the desktop or through the registry.
http://www.ehow.com/how_5675560_change-friendly-name-registry.html

Check the link mentioned below to find the user name of the computer.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6821998_username-pc-windows-xp.html

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 17, 2024 Views 11,860 Applies to: