[FIXED!] Xbox One Wireless Controller (Charge and Play) Stuck in DFU Mode/Bricked by Interrupted Firmaware Update through the Xbox Accessories App

I installed the Xbox Accessories app today, and I saw that there's an available update for my wireless controller that I used via a micro-usb cable. Now that I have my wireless adapter, I decided to update thinking it'd be a good idea because drivers usually improve the functionality of the product. During the update process, the app crashed and my controller no longer lights up. In device manager, it goes under Xbox Peripherals as "Xbox One Controller DFU".

I've literally tried EVERY solution found online, except for using another computer to try and resume the update process, which I'm gonna do later.

Things I've tried so far:

Disconnecting and reconnecting my controller.
Uninstalling and reinstalling the driver.
Restarted my pc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: I tried using another PC, but it's still being identified as "Controller updater", and it's still showing as "Xbox One Controller DFU" in device manager.

Edit 2: The issue can be fixed by following these steps:

1) Install Windows 10 version 1511 on a virtual machine using Oracle VM VirtualBox - It's free and open source.

2) Install the Xbox Accessories app via the Windows 10 Store.
3) Connect your Xbox Controller and let the app recognize it.
4) Click on the "update required" button and let the app restore/resume the firmware installation.

That's it! Now you can enjoy using your controller again!

Credit goes to Andrey305 for the solution. What a legend.

Answer
Answer

Hello.

I have the same issue yesterday. I use my xbox one controller with PC, I haven't got console. I decided update it to new firmware, but it was my bad mistake. My controller was broken. It's bad mistake by developers too.

It reanimated my controller:

1. I used Windows 10 version 1511 (it's update before Anniversary update) launched April 2016.

2. Installed it. I used open-source virtual machine.

3. Then I downloaded the Xbox Accessories app for this version of Windows 10.

4. I connected my broken controller and pressed "update".

5. It's second life for my controller.

I hope it help anyone to fix that problem.

68 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 2, 2023 Views 15,254 Applies to: