[FIXED] Windows 10 Audio Service Causing High CPU Usage After Updating to 1803

Hello. I updated my Windows 10 today to the 1803 build, and it seems that drivers weren't fully installed since it says in the notifications center "finish installing drivers" with a red flag. I have an i7 4770 @3.5-3.9GHz, and the CPU usage is ranging from 50% to 100%, but I can only see 23-30% being used by the process Server Host: Local Service (network restricted) - Expanded it shows windows audio, 10% by Windows Explorer, and like 11% by Avast service. Stopping the windows audio service is the only thing I did that solved the issue. I tried re-installing the audio driver from Realtek's website, updated through driver installing software etc.. with no avail. I am not willing to refresh/reset my PC, as it will remove many huge games and/or programs that I'm not willing to re-download.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I fixed the issue by uninstalling Razer Surround Pro, and everything is working perfectly (For now).

How I found out it was/could be the cause: I opened up services, searched for the windows audio service and audio end point builder, right clicked audio end point builder, clicked properties, then went to it's dependencies, and expanded the audio service to see what's under it. I thought I'd uninstall Razer Surround to see if it fixes the problem, and it did. Rebooted the system to see if it comes back, and it didn't. The CPU usage is finally back to normal.

My guess is it was conflicting with the audio driver.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

What is the exact make and model?

Open Start, type: system information
Hit Enter
Click System summary
Look in the right pane

Copy the system sku info into reply here.

See example: https://imgur.com/qzektpA

First, run the Playing audio troubleshoot - open Start > Settings > Update & security > Troubleshoot
Scroll down, select Playing audio
Click Run the troubleshooter

When complete, restart your computer then check if audio is working again.

Press Windows key + X
Click Device Manager
Expand Sound, video and game controllers

Right click your audio adapter
Click Properties
Click the Driver tab

Is there an option rollback?
If so, click it.

Also, check to make sure the audio driver is fully updated. This is often the problem when you upgrade to a new version of Windows 10. Sometimes reinstalling the latest available driver from the manufacturers website helps.

Open Start, type: change sound card
Hit Enter
Select the Playback
Right click your Speakers
Click Set as Default Device if it isn't already

Select your speakers
Click Properties
Click the Levels tab
Use the slider to adjust level

Other options:

1. Play a youtube video with the soundcard speaker jack unplugged and let it play through the laptop's inbuilt speakers.
2. While it is playing, plug in the audio jack and see if it starts playing.

Which version of Windows 10 is currently installed? See how to verify:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wik...

Which version and edition Windows did you originally upgrade from or was installed prior to your current version:

Windows 10 - 1703, 1607, 1511, 1507 (build 10240)

Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Windows 8.0 Core, Windows 8.1 Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8.0 Pro, Windows 8.1 Pro

If its Windows 10 1803:

There seems to be some early adopter issues at this time with Windows 10 1803, if you can, I recommend you downgrade to your previous version until the Spring Creators Update matures with future cumulative updates.

Open Start > Settings > Update & security > Recovery > under Go back to my previous version of Windows 10, click Get started.
or
Press Control + Alt + Delete
Click Sign out

At the Sign In screen, hold down the shift key on your keyboard while clicking the Power button on the screen
Continue to hold down the shift key while clicking Restart
Continue to hold down the shift key until the Advanced Recovery Options menu appears

Click Troubleshoot

Click Advanced options

Click Go back to the previous version of Windows

Windows Update might attempt to upgrade to Windows 10 1803 again. See instructions how to block it:
https://www.groovypost.com/howto/block-windows-...
Best regards,
Andre Da Costa
Independent Advisor for Directly

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

hi DeathMetalMarine

I am Wilfredo an Independent advisor

Check these links that can be very useful for the solution of your problem

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/402699...

https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-april...

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

I hope it helps you
Wilfredo Soto

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The previous build was Windows 10 build 1703, updated earlier today. I have already tried, and done, most of what you suggested. Nothing worked. The only solution is stopping the windows audio service.

I have already deleted the files of the previous build(s) of windows 10 as they were using a lot of space on my SSD, so there's free space for possible windows updates.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I came across the windows central article, nothing helped. I'm not having any issues with audio, it's just the service that's using up 25+% of my CPU. This started happening after updating my windows 10 build from 1703 to 1803.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Check this other link that could help you

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-monitor-and-...

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

I hope it helps you
Wilfredo Soto

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Reply In reply to deleted message
Hello, Andre. Thanks for the recommendation, but I'd rather stay on 1803 without any sound than downgrade.. It'll be time consuming to re-install all the programs on my SSD (were only windows and programs are installed).

It's been 1 month since the release of 1803, and the issues that have been reported by the users haven't been fixed yet. I'm extremely disappointed.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, its your call and who knows, an update in the future might actually fix the issue. So, sticking it out with that limitation might make sense.
Best regards,
Andre Da Costa
Independent Advisor for Directly

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry,, but I don't see how that article relates to my problem.. It's a desktop, and I have an unlimited internet plan. internet is not an issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

ok here I have another link, if you can check it out, it's from a forum
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/8jr...

Wilfredo Soto

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've tried setting the maximum CPU power state to 99%, but that didn't fix the problem, so I set it back to 100.

It seems that there's something causing the service to use a high % of my CPU. I'm stopping the windows audio service, troubleshooting for sound problems, which turns on the service again, and it's not affecting my CPU usage.. until a few minutes later. I'm really confused.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 9, 2024 Views 50,225 Applies to: