Files Added to Hidden Folder Are Not Automatically Hidden

Hello,

I have a situation where files that are newly added to a hidden folder (which is temporarily unhidden so I can access it) do not inherit the hidden property of the folder. In other words, the files are not automatically hidden. These files still show up in the Quick Access Recent Files list when I open an Explorer window which defeats the purpose of hiding the folder. When I initially hid the folder I did enable the option to apply the hidden status to all files within the folder, not just the folder itself, but this setting doesn't seem to "stick" for future file additions. I have to go into the properties of each file and check the Hidden checkbox. Is this by design or is this a bug? I can't think of a scenario where you would not want files added to a hidden folder to be hidden. What's the point of adding them to a hidden folder in the first place, then? Is there setting I can change so that files added to the hidden folder in the future automatically inherit the hidden status of the folder? I'm running Windows 11 Pro 21H2.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Brad

Hello Brad,

It sounds like you may have mistakenly selected Apply changes to this folder only instead of Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files when you set the folder to be hidden.

As a test, hide the folder again using option two below with Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files to see if that sorts it.

https://www.elevenforum.com/t/hide-and-unhide-files-and-folders-in-windows-11.4978/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Shawn.

Thanks for the suggestion. I unhid the folder, made sure the "Apply to folder, subfolders and files" was checked then hid the folder again making sure the same setting was checked. New files added to the folder still don't inherit the folder's hidden status. Something weird is going on.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That is odd. Are the file's icon faded like it would be if hidden?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 28, 2024 Views 657 Applies to: