File Transfer From PC To USB Thumbdrive Using Windows Explorer Has Problems.

I've been trying to transfer folders from my PC (folder on desktop) to my 2TB USB thumbdrive. I have a folder on my desktop that had about 20-30 folders that had anywhere between 1GB to 4GB in each one. Transferring them to the thumbdrive resulted in some of the folders on the thumbdrive to be empty.. I thought I heard a long time ago that Windows Explorer was not really reliable for file transfer. 

Also, my usb drive transfer has been kinda slow at 10-12mb/s so I went searching online and they said you can speed up the USB transfer rate by going to device manager and selecting the device, going to policy and selecting improve performance, that increased the initial data transfer rate to 30-60mb/s but starts slowing down and bottoming out almost acting like its not transferring at all, I'm talking all the way down to 300kb/s slow, not sure if that was accurate and still transferring or bottomed out and not transferring, never got an error so I dont know.

I don't have much faith getting an answer since it appears Microsoft tends to close threads awful quick when I search this site for answers to different problems, seems like nobody gets much help here but any help anyone can provide me would be greatly appreciated. 

Question Info

Last updated June 25, 2019 Views 49 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
Hi mcasdorph2

Where did you purchase that 2TB thumb drive, was that online?

Unless you paid $800+ for that drive, it is most likely a fake and in reality is an 8GB or 16GB flash drive with a hacked allocation table, this is very common on the Internet . . .

If that is a fake, it will transfer files at a much reduced rate and when it hits the actual size of the chip in the drive, it will continue like it is copying files, when in actuality it is not copying files . . .

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.