File icon showing over thumbnails in Windows 10

On Windows 10, I have an issue with a small white file icon showing over top of my Documents and Pictures folders, other folders within them, and on individual files (see screenshot below).  In File Explorer Options, I've tried various combinations of checking/unchecking "Always show icons, never thumbnails" and "Display file icon on thumbnails", and nothing seems to take off those icons.   I have my view setting at Medium Icons as shown below.  If I go down to Details, the white file totally covers the thumbnail and I can't tell what are folders and what are files.  Any suggestions on how to remove them?

Hi

My name is Lester and hopefully, this will help answer your question, have you try to set the PC to best appearance to make sure? follow the steps provided below:

Step 1. Set the folder to default.

On folder options set it as default.

-Press windows key + E> Click on View> click options then click Change folder and search options

Once done click on Restore defaults then click apply and OK

Strep 2. Set to best appearance

Press Windows key + Pause/Break or Press windows key + R then type in sysdm.cpl then click on Advanced Tab

Under performance click settings

Then click Adjust for best appearance

Click apply then OK then restart the PC.

If none will work from the above solution I suggest to do an in-place upgrade wherein it will upgrade the device to the latest version and repair all issues without deleting any files.

Note: before doing this make sure to create a restore point: https://support.microsoft.com/en-hk/help/402753...

1. go to this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...

2. Select Download tool, and select Run. You need to be an administrator to run this tool.

3. On the License terms page, if you accept the license terms, select Accept.

4. On the What do you want to do? page, select Upgrade this PC now, and then select Next.

5. After downloading and installing, it should fix the issue.

Reference: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...

Let me know how does it goes, and we have sets of troubleshooting steps here.

Lester
Independent Advisor

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Lester,

Thanks for all the information.  I tried everything you listed, but nothing worked.  In fact, there are more file icons appearing on the thumbnails now as it's moved to additional folders.  I really thought the upgrade on Windows 10 would work.  Any other thoughts?  I appreciate the help.

Cynthia

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your fast response, let me ask another advisor to check with this issue.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello! My name is Marco, I am an Independent Advisor. I will do my best to help you.
Try the first solution in this video
It's not exactly the same problem as you, but let's try

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OnIi2dlobw&...

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Marco,

I tried every option in the video and none of them worked.  I'm still seeing the file icon over my thumbnails.  Any other ideas?  I appreciate all the help trying to figure this out!

Cynthia

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 22, 2024 Views 2,417 Applies to: