File Explorer search not working in Windows 10 1909

Ever since I updated to Windows 10 1909 the Search Box in the File Explorer is completely unuseable. It shows a text cursor but I cannot click inside the box or type any text into it. Essentially it's a text box with no "wiring". 

Any ideas how to resolve this issue? I'm having to resort to using a third-party search app just to find files in my projects.

Kind regards

Byron

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I know I nobody as far as Microsoft goes but they keep taking the basics away from me and I do not like it. I cannot search in File Explorer any more and I cannot see the file size any more and it is really important expecially when files keep disappearing and I cannot find them anymore.  Please Microsoft keep the basic and what all of us use all the time. I understand you wanting to add more to keep ahead of the competition but us users need to keep some of the same stuff were use to.  Please think about us users.  

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I too have experienced this exact same issue on two different computers, one of which is literally only a day old.

I cannot speak for the long-term reliability of this method, but here's a way I found to (at least temporarily) fix the broken search bar without having to kill explorer.exe in Task Manager or having to use PowerShell commands on my own computer:

1. Open a folder, any folder (doesn't matter which)

2. In the Ribbon, click on View and then Options

3. When the Folder Options window appears, click the View tab

4. Scroll the "Advanced settings" list about halfway down

5. Look for the setting "Launch folder windows in a separate process".

a. If it is NOT checked, then click the box to check it

b. If it IS checked, then uncheck it, click Apply, and finally re-check it

6. Click Apply, and then OK.

This seems to have worked for me, but like I said only time will tell if the problem comes back or not.

12 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Reply In reply to deleted message
That seems to be working for me now. Do you by any chance no how to search by date like today's date?  I know I should be happy that I have one solution but I am greedy. Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

A bug relating to the Search box does not yet appear on Microsoft's official list of known v.1909 bugs. This means one of two things:

1- Microsoft has not yet received enough reports from users or, at least, enough reports with sufficiently similar characteristics to identify a bug; or

2- Microsoft is aware that a bug might exist, but has not yet been able to identify exactly what is going wrong and what needs to be fixed.

Windows Updates go through extensive testing by millions of Windows Insiders, but that number is only a tiny fraction of the 800+ million devices that run Windows 10. There's no way that Microsoft can determine with certainty how an update will affect 800+ million users.

Furthermore, it is inevitable that a huge and complex project like Windows will have bugs. This should come as no surprise. If anything, it's surprising that there aren't more bugs.

From this experience there are two lessons to be learned:

1- It's very important to report potential bugs via the established bug reporting mechanism, since that's the only way for Microsoft to hear about them. Moaning in a community forum, and posting threats and vile insults accomplishes nothing.

2- The vast majority of users should follow the conventional wisdom that has been around since before Windows came into existence: Don't jump on a major update when it's first released.  Knowledgeable users have been following this advice since forever.

Most users should wait 3 or 4 months, at least, before installing major updates. This gives corporate IT departments and other professional testers an opportunity to discover early bugs and report them to Microsoft; and gives Microsoft an opportunity to fix them.

For Windows 10 users in particular, there is a third lesson:

3- Let Windows Update install updates, instead of going to Microsoft's website and installing them yourself. Windows Update incorporates the latest information from Microsoft on the success of updates - or the lack of success - and can save us much heartache by preventing updates that might harm a computer. It is by no means a perfect process, but it's a heck of a lot better than installing without it.

Finally, it's important to understand that Windows 10 is a continuous series of updates. That's how it was designed from the very beginning. Microsoft was careful to publicize this while Windows 10 was in development and it was widely discussed in the media at the time. Updates are not going away, so for those of us who have yet to come up to speed with how to deal with them, now would be a very good time to do that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not affiliated in any way with Directly or their Independent Advisors.

Sorry this didn't help.

Windows search is very much broken.

I have a few instances of file explorer open. In a few of them I can search any file and text string in any folder, local c drive, my local data drive as well as mapped drives on other systems on the lan.

This works with OR without indexing enabled or windows search service running.

If I open a new instance of file explorer, that instance will NOT search any thing any where.

I have tried all the "normal" listed fixes that are nothing but a waste of time.

sfc

troubleshooter

ending cortana

stopping and starting search service

enabling and or disabling indexing

verifying none of the drives or folders in question are excluded from indexing for times it is enabled

enabling or disabling of the open files in new window folder property

enabling or disabling of including filenames or content of non indexed folders

Notice I stated clearly, in some file explorer instances I CAN search and some I can not, same folders etc. In the instances that do not work, the search box shows, just does not allow imput

Sorry this didn't help.

A bug relating to the Search box does not yet appear on Microsoft's official list of known v.1909 bugs. [... snip ...]

1- It's very important to report potential bugs via the established bug reporting mechanism, since that's the only way for Microsoft to hear about them. 

[... snip ...]

It might be helpful if you mentioned an 'established bug reporting mechanism'.

Do you consider the Feedback Hub (built into Win10) to be one such path? If not, how would you expect the users and IT support people of this thread to know where such an established path is?

Moaning in a community forum, and ... 

If Microsoft has no means at all of even automatically crawling these community threads to build up metrics of common pain points, then I wonder what they believe the value of these community areas are even for: just a place for us to **** among ourselves? 

If MS provides a forum for our voices, you'd think they would have some form of listening.

Chris

Sorry this didn't help.

Windows search is very much broken.

I have a few instances of file explorer open. In a few of them I can search any file and text string in any folder, local c drive, my local data drive as well as mapped drives on other systems on the lan.

This works with OR without indexing enabled or windows search service running.

If I open a new instance of file explorer, that instance will NOT search any thing any where.

I have tried all the "normal" listed fixes that are nothing but a waste of time.

sfc

troubleshooter

ending cortana

stopping and starting search service

enabling and or disabling indexing

verifying none of the drives or folders in question are excluded from indexing for times it is enabled

enabling or disabling of the open files in new window folder property

enabling or disabling of including filenames or content of non indexed folders

Notice I stated clearly, in some file explorer instances I CAN search and some I can not, same folders etc. In the instances that do not work, the search box shows, just does not allow imput

Now that is a true "head scratcher" given all the things you've tried.  I think it's pretty well established that this is a genuine problem, whether Microsoft chooses to acknowledge it or not...

Sorry this didn't help.

In case of Problems with File Explorer, you can use an alternative program e.g Explorer++ (search it in Google)

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have this same problem with Windows Explorer where the Search box is unresponsive when trying to enter text to start a search.

I've found that the search box stops working when moving or deleting lots of files in one go.

A workaround which I've found is to select any file or folder within the explorer window and then the search box then starts working again.

Hope this helps some of you.

Edit: This only sometimes works, after a while the the search box turns a dark grey and is no longer usable and then Explorer needs to be restarted via the task manager.

Sorry this didn't help.

-Can't right click !
-Missing tabs !
-Not responsive !
-freeze explorer !
-missing result with special key like "video","*.psd",".*js"....!
Total garbage in last 1903 and 1909
Repair or rebuild index not solve issue.
What just happening here ?

They gave job to a young inexperienced developer?
Productivity drops to 0, impossible to manage files in a large project.

This should never have happened on low update.
Plz give a URGENT patch to fix the file search in explorer and bring back tabs related to search.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 19, 2020 Views 71,285 Applies to: