file explorer crashes after trying to access remote drive

I didn´t find exactly where should i post this bug because this is not vulnerability. It just makes windows a little bit more irritating.

So, this bug happens when i try to connect to external drive (not sure how its called in EN) over a network (SMB, probably v3). The strange thing is, that every other file explorer window that were opened before were working normally (until crash). Same for every other program running on the computer. After i tried to connect to network drive, explorer froze (probably tried to connect to drive) and after +-30 secs crashed. With that crashed whole  environment (desktop, anything that used Windows key wasnt working). After a while, explorer restarted and everything worked normally.

Specs: AMD FX-6110, 16GB DDR3, GTX1050Ti (latest drivers), 480GB Kingston SSD (sys), 2TB WD data drive, Win 10 Pro 64-bit, up to date to 13.4.2019 22:25 CET. The network drive is connected via switch and is automatically being shut down at 10PM.

Thanks.

(Also the topic might not be the right one)

Hi, Jakub

I'm Independent Advisor. I hope it helps.

The following command will do a full scan of the protected system files on your computer and fix any file that are causing issues while Windows 10 is up and running.
1. Use the Windows key + X keyboard shortcut to open the Power User menu and select Command Prompt (Admin), as you will need administrator permissions to run SFC.
2. In the Command Prompt type the following command and press Enter:
sfc /scannow
1. Once the scan completes, you will see one of the following messages:
o Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations:This indicates that your system doesn't have any missing or corrupted files.
o Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation: This message means that there was a problem during the scan and an offline scan is required.
o Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them. Details are included in the CBS.Log %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log: You will get this message when SFC was able to fix the problem. Now, you can move on or you can view the logs to get more details.
o Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log: In this case, you'll need to repair the corrupted files manually.
Quick Tip: You may want to run the command around three times to fix all the problems.

Please see this great 3rd party link for a complete step-by-step guide

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-sfc-comm...

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello my name is Bradford and I'm an Independent Advisor for the Microsoft Community and I will try to resolve your problem.

It sounds like your Icon database in Windows is corrupted and has to be rebuilt. In Windows 10 the procedure is a bit long but I've outlined it below for you:

To rebuild the icon cache database on Windows 10, close any application that you may be running, and then do the following:

1. Press Windows Key+R to open the “Run” box.
2. Type “cmd” into the box and then press Ctrl+Shift+Enter to run the command as an administrator.
3. Type the following command to navigate to the icon cache database location and press Enter:

cd %homepath%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

4. Type the following command to verify the icon cache database files are at the location and press Enter:

dir iconcache*

The output of the dir command should list these database files:

iconcache_1280.db
iconcache_16.db
iconcache_1920.db
iconcache_256.db
iconcache_2560.db
iconcache_32.db
iconcache_48.db
iconcache_768.db
iconcache_96.db
iconcache_custom_stream.db
iconcache_exif.db
iconcache_idx.db
iconcache_sr.db
iconcache_wide.db
iconcache_wide_alternate.db

--VERY IMPORTANT about step 5: Once you terminate File Explorer, your desktop background and taskbar will disappear, leaving a black screen — but it's OK, it's only temporarily. You need to close File Explorer to be able to delete the icon cache files. Otherwise, you won't be able to do it.
------

5. Type the following command to stop File Explorer and press Enter:

taskkill /f /im explorer.exe

6. Type the following command to delete the iconcache files and press Enter:

del iconcache*

Note 1: If you get access denied trying to remove the files, you're probably not running Command Prompt with as an administrator. Repeat these steps, but making sure Command Prompt starts with administrative privileges.

7. Type the following command to verify that you successfully deleted the icon cache files and press Enter:

dir iconcache*

Note 2: If you still see some iconcache files, then it's likely that some apps are still running, which will prevent you from deleting the database files. Make sure to close them all, and repeat the steps.

8. Type the following command to start File Explorer and press Enter:

explorer.exe

9. Close Command Prompt to complete the task.

Once you completed the steps, Windows 10 will automatically recreate the database files with fresh icons, this should fix the problem

If following the above steps doesn't resolve the issue please let me know!

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

I'm Independent Advisor and Microsoft MVP, here to help you with your question.

Suggest you to run System File Checker scan:

1. Search for 'command prompt' using Cortana or Windows Search.

2. From results, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

3. Type sfc /scannow command and press Enter key.

4. Let the command complete and then reboot the machine.

If issue still persists, perform clean boot:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/929135...

Or try resetting File Explorer (explorer.exe) Process:

1. Press Windows Key + R and type SYSDM.CPL in Run. Click OK or press Enter key.

2. In System Properties window, switch to Advanced tab, click Settings under Performance.

3. Next, in Performance Options, under Processor scheduling, make sure that Adjust for best performance of: is set to Programs.

4. Then in the same window, under Virtual memory, click Settings button.

5. On Virtual Memory page, make sure Automatically manage paging file sizes for all drives option is checked. Click OK, then Apply, OK on rest of windows.

6. Reboot the machine and see if issue is resolved now.

Let me know if this helps!
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Helping Windows users, since 2010 · Please remember to mark replies as answers, if they helps!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 7, 2024 Views 4,990 Applies to: