File: \Boot\BCD Error code: 0xc000000d - How to recover without loosing installed apps and device drivers?

Desktop PC now hangs during a boot, blue screen with the message "The Boot Configuration Data file is missing some required information.".

100% reproducible, cannot reach the Windows start screen.

I had Win-7 Ultimate, upgraded just some days ago to Win10 Pro. It was working (and booting) fine, so I decided to activate the Hyper-V. When doing this, Windows requested a reboot. Since then, booting the PC always fails with the above error.

Can I recover the BCD without loosing the installed apps and device drivers? I made data backups prior to installing Win-10, but now I am mostly worried about all the apps and drivers.

I have the Win-7 (Ultimate) installation DVD, but should I now repair the PC with a Win-10 (pro) media? I upgraded to win-10 over Internet, i.e. have no Win-10 media.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Hi,

With the issue description, I understand that you are getting a blue screen error The Boot Configuration Data file is missing some required information with a code: 0xc000000d  on your Windows 7 machine. I will certainly help you in getting this fixed.

This issue might occur due to corruption in program files or boot files. In order to diagnose and fix the issue, let’s follow below mentioned steps and check if that helps:

Method 1: Startup Repair

Perform Automatic repair from Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) using installation media and see if it helps.

To run Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE), follow these steps:

1. Insert the Windows installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer.

2. Press a key when the message Press any key to boot from CD or DVD appears.

If your PC does not detect the media automatically.

a. During the restart process, read the screen for any instructions that explain how to interrupt normal startup and enter the basic input/output system (BIOS) setup utility. Most PCs use the F2, F10, ESC, or DEL key to begin the BIOS Setup.

b. Look for a tab in the BIOS Setup Utility that is labeled Boot Order, Boot Options, or Boot. Following the directions on the screen, use the arrow keys to go to the Boot Order, then press Enter.

c. Locate the CD, DVD, or USB flash drive (this might be called Removable Device) in the Boot list. Following the directions on the screen, use the arrow keys to move the drive up so that it appears first in the Boot list. Press Enter. The boot order sequence is now changed to boot from the CD, DVD, or USB flash drive.

d. Press F10 to save your changes and to exit the BIOS Setup Utility. Select Yes in the confirmation window. The PC will restart.

3. Select a language, a time and a currency, a keyboard or input method, and then click Next.

4. Click Repair your computer.

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, select the drive of your Windows installation, and then click Next.

6. At the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Repair your computer.

7. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

8. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

For more information about System Recovery Options, see:

What are the system recovery options in Windows?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17101/windows-7-system-recovery-options

For more information about Startup Repair, see: Startup Repair: frequently asked questions.

Try method 2, if the issue perist

Method 2: Boot from a Windows 7 Bootable Media.

1. Click on “Troubleshoot”, click “Advanced Options

2. Then click “Command Prompt

3. Type these following commands and hit enter after each line of command:

bootrec /scanos
bootrec /rebuildbcd
bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot

Restart the computer and check.

Note: You may create a bootable media for Windows 7 by following below mentioned link.

Refer: Windows USB/DVD Download Tool

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

Once the bootable media is created, you may try to boot the machine using Windows 7 bootable media and follow above steps.

Hope this information is helpful. Please write back to us if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Regards

Neha

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for your answer. Highly appreciated!

Yes, the PC hangs with a blue screen during a boot.
Obviously Windows broke the BCD files when enabling the Hyper-V.

The replay tells in very detail, step-by-step, how one may do the recovering to Win7.
However, reading also the linked pages, I still cannot find answers on these two questions:

- Should one use the Win10 installation disk, rather than Win7 installation disk? Please note that the Win7 was recently upgraded to Windows 10. Can I download/create Win10 (pro) installation media (currently I only have the old Win7 Ultimate DVD, as Win10 was installed over Internet)?

- On all/any of the methods described, are there any changes that all/some/any installed applications and device drivers stay installed? Or will it be a newly installed Windows, without the applications I previously had installed? I assume the application and driver files will stay on disk, but will the Windows recognize them as installed apps/drivers?

I ask, because if I will need to re-install the drivers, I might consider giving up the recovery, and instead start setting up entirely new/different OS.

I assume one could just try, but I prefer to know in advance.

(Sorry my english. I know it is perfect, but slightly different than yours...)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 22, 2020 Views 14,921 Applies to: