fear gold will not launch after installing on windows10

I have been trying to get my fear gold game to work on windows 10 for over 2yrs now. I first had an hp pavilion with an amd processor and tried all the fixes but no success. I now have a new dell g7 with a intel core processor7 and it still will not launch and play.

the game loads fine but when I try to launch the game from either the desktop or the fear exe it loads the title screen and press play and it crashes. no errors or nothing. when I tried the new patch v1.08 the multi player screen loads and when I try to load single player mode it tells me I have the wrong dvd in the drive. any one have a new suggestion or should I just give up. and I have run the compatibility mode and set everything to xp sp2. I first ran the game in windows 7 and remember I had to change the fear exe. file but cannot find that fix any longer.

Hi fredvantuyl I'll try to help you on this issue.

FEAR is now almost 15 years old, so unfortunately the hardware requirements has a lot changed since this time.
Now all CPU are multithreaded, with tons of RAM, and new versions of windows and architecture.

If I may give you my thoughts about this, I think you'll be better off getting the game from GOG (Good Old Games, online game seller, like steam, but specialized in old games).
By doing so, you'll get a game fully patched, garanted to work on new hardware and software.
I love playing old games too, like 90's games, and GOG is the easiest way to get them. No hassle, no "hack", it's plug and play. And the support team is passionnate about it.
It will cost a few dollars, but in my opinion, it's definitively worth it.

Let me know if I can further help you,
Regards

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

only problem with that plan is I don't have wifi,only my att hotspot

but I will check out the gog sight

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I understand that the download of the game with hotspot may not be the best solution.

Maybe some neighbor can share his network for a few minutes in order to download the game, or at some local store with free wifi maybe.

Regards

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the original FEAR and it runs well on Win10. I wouldn't expect FEAR Gold to have different problems, but... maybe.

"I had to change the fear exe. file."

- The disc based version of FEAR uses SecuROM copy protection, and '05 is one of the bad years for SecuROM not being

compatible with 64bit Windows.

This may be why you needed to use a noCD fix\hack in the past (unless you are referring  to using a Compatibility setting).

I don't see a fix for FEAR Gold, but the  - standard fix -   for the base game and Extraction Point may still work...

(Use the version that matches the level the game is patched to. I expect the Gold ed. would be fully patched out of the box.)

- I also have had the Shader Cache and Threaded Optimisation disabled for this game in Nvidia Control Panel with earlier versions of

Win10. If enabled, one or both of these can cause massive lag from time to time.

- If you want to use higher resolutions than the game has to offer you need to change them in the games file. After changing the resolutions

avoid clicking on the graphics settings in game or it will revert the .cfg to a low resolution . It's only the resolution that stuffs up if you open the games settings, so you can setup your other in game graphics settings, then

quit the game and change the resolution in the games .cfg file in... C:\Users \Public\Public Documents\ Monolith Productions\settings.cfg

(The .cfg file for FEAR XP is in the TimegateStudios  sub-folder )

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

thanks for the suggestions. I have discovered that the dvd version I have is already patched with v1.08. it loads but will not launch after I hit the play button. if I repatch the program with a download v1.08 no dvd,the multi player launchs fine,but if I try to switch to single player mode,i get an error that the wrong dvd is in my drive. so I am not sure if downloading a new version will work anyway. go figure. this is the only game I have that I cannot get to run on windows 10.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

(Didn't catch your response earlier, but if you are still there) ...

[EDIT:  How about buying the Platinum ed from GOG. I was checking the current GOG sale and they have the game for only $3.69 AUD

(less with USD). Can't beat that !  GOG remove pesky DRM and fix any other issues. Too easy....https://www.gog.com/game/fear_platinum    ]

- I assume you are unable to launch XP in single player as well.

- Did the wrong disc message begin straight after installing the game ? Not using a torrent download of the game  ?

- I didn't actually test FEAR without the noCD fix when I posted previously (I've used them forever with all my disc based games),

but just found the game will run using the disc without a noCD, so I was wrong about this version of SecuROM being incompatible

with 64bit Windows.

I also switched from multi-player to single player, and the only message is - disconnected from server - before single player loads.

- SecuROM  have an Diagnostics tool, but MS Stopped SecuROM support with Win10 so I don't know if it will work, or even install

on Win10  - https://support.securom.com/analysis.php

- None of the above ? It's looking like there is a peculiarity with the Gold edition that does not come with the other versions.

What that is remains a mystery atm.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have tried all the fixes and nothing is working.

I am beginning to wonder if the users that have the game working on windows 10 may have upgraded from windows 7 or 8.

both of the machines I have tried to get it to run on are new laptops, not upgrades.

maybe something to do with the 32 bit mode over 64 mode. my windows 10 edition does not have a 32bit capability

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I installed the game on Win7 64bit, and while my Win10 is an 'upgrade' from Win7 I doubt that is the reason the

game is still running on my machine. As I mentioned earlier, there are a couple of settings in Nvidia control panel which

contributed to serious lag, and AMD likely has similar options, but the game did launch and run.

I also verified the game runs on my Intel HD 4600 graphics (desktop machine), so even if your machine failed to switch to your

dedicated graphics card the game should still load single player mode with your Intel HD graphics.

Most likely something to do with the Gold ed disc, but I'm fresh out of ideas, which is why I suggested trying the Platinum ed. from GOG.

Not only do they remove DRM and fix potential issues, they have a good refund policy should you still have problems.

As with other online retailers, GOG have frequent so called 'sales', but I don't think FEAR goes on sale as often as

a lot of other games, so you would want to get in their quickly if you don't want to keep stuffing around with your disc version.

Speaking of the Gold ed, I saw an article regarding another game that had an re-release version with the expansion packs where they somehow

left SecuROM off the disc which caused the wrong disc error until the developers put out an online patch, which is why I popped

the SecuROM tool link in the last post.

There was also another game\s with an issue regarding the mechanics of the SecuROM disc check that involves intentional 'bad sectors'

or some such on the disc, and the DRM expecting those sectors to be read in a given time frame, which could cause wrong disc errors

if the disc is not read at the prescribed speed.

These discoveries are also why I asked if you are using a torrent download. If so, you entered a realm of the unknown. On these forums at least.

- I understand the desire to conquer the issue. I hate being beaten too, but sometimes spending a few $ is worth not having to

deal with the frustration. Particularly after such a long time.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

thanks for all your advice

you are probably right.

will have to find a wifi hotspot and just download a new version.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

"you are probably right."

Awh! Only probably ? 

Cheers, BD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 10, 2023 Views 2,802 Applies to: