Family Safety is Blocking Programs That Shouldn't Be

I am having this issue with both my desktop and laptop computers. Desktop is using Windows 7 Premium and laptop uses Windows 7 Professional. I first set up Family safety a couple weeks ago and it was working fine on both computers. I used the same profile settings for my child's profile on both computers for simplicity. Everything was fine until a few days ago.

My son's and my profiles were both logged on, but we were on the lock screen on the desktop. My son hit the Shut Down button in the lower right part of the screen and the computer proceeded to shut down. When we attempted to start the computer back up, we received a black screen saying to insert the Windows disk due to it being corrupted or something. We do not have a disk, but we ended up doing a factory reset through the F3 menu (the only option that would do something other than route us right back to the error message again).

After this, I obviously had to set everything back up from scratch, including creating new profiles on the computer and reinstalling Family Safety. When I went to set up Family Safety for my son's profile again, I tried to select the Family Safety profile we used before so as to use the previously established settings. However, it said that account no longer existed. So, I created a new Family Safety profile.

Later, I also noticed that the Family Safety settings on my laptop were not working (since it was still linked to the old profile which apparently didn't exist anymore). So, I updated the laptop to use the new Family Safety profile.

Ever since this day, I have been getting pop-ups on both computers indicating various programs have been blocked, including Family Safety itself as well as sometimes explorer.exe which ends up leaving me with a blank screen (no desktop loading), at which point I need to use ctrl+alt_del to log off and try again. It'**** and miss which programs are blocked and which are not on each login.

I have checked the Application Filters and some of the programs that are being blocked are not even on the list, while other are on the list and are clearly marked "Allow". Yet, they are still being blocked. I don't understand what is going on here, but it somehow seems to stem from the crashing of the desktop. I just don't see how the desktop crashing can cause issues on my laptop as well.

Please assist ASAP, as my children are not responsible enough to be on an unrestricted account, but the programs being blocked are starting to affect their ability to keep up with school work. 

Hi Arloro,

Thank you for the detailed information.

You seem to have an issue with Family Safety’s performance. We will assist you in fixing the issue. Please answer the following question to help me understand the issue better:

1. Which antivirus application are you running on your computers?

2. What happens when you try to access the allowed programs?

Let’s check the issue by refreshing the Family Safety Filter.

How do I refresh the Family Safety Filter?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-live/family-safety-filter-faq

Reference links for more information.

Family Safety: Frequently Asked Questions

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_other-security/family-safety-frequently-asked-questions/5672f7b2-e3c0-498a-9a6c-c9cab39f68e5

Set up Family Safety

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/set-up-family-safety#set-up-family-safety=windows-7

Hope this information is helpful.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Good Morning Ganesh,

I appreciate the swift reply. Here are the answers to your questions:

1. The laptop uses Microsoft Security Essentials and the desktop uses McAfee (which is also one of the programs that occasionally gets blocked by Family Safety).

2. For instance, when I first log onto the profile, I receive pop-ups stating certain programs have been blocked (see the 2nd set of screen shots from the desktop below for an example of this). On the laptop, it has a link for me to allow the program as in the screen shot immediately below, but on the desktop, I do not get this option as in the 2nd set of screen shots.

Screen Shot 1 - Laptop: Trying to access Internet Explorer. Program is not blocked on Family Safety, but I still receive a pop-up advising it is. Once I click "Ask an administrator for permission" and enter my Family Safety password, the program will work (though sometimes I have to do it a couple of times).

Screen Shots Set 2 - Desktop: Pop-ups I receive when first logging on to the profile (this happens on both desktop and laptop when logging on, but the desktop pop-ups don't have an "ask an administrator" link. Sometimes I get more pop-ups and sometimes I get fewer. Sometimes the programs blocked prevent the computer from functioning and I have to log off and then back on, at which point those programs are no longer blocked.

In addition, sometimes when the laptop says Family Safety has been blocked, I am not able to use the link to unblock a program and when I AM able to unblock, it doesn't always stick. This morning, we had an issue with Internet Explorer, but yesterday, that was fine.

Another program we had issues with yesterday on the Desktop was our Blackboard Collaborate Launcher for my kids' online Class Connect sessions. This worked fine on Tuesday, but on Thursday, it came up as blocked. I was able to unblock it on the laptop, but not on the desktop (even though they both run off the same Family Safety profile).

I have tried refreshing, but this doesn't seem to change anything. Also, when I try to go into the Family Safety settings to unblock the programs that are showing blocked, most are not on the program list. When they are, they are already marked "allow." I have also tried to click "block" and then "allow" just in case. I have only blocked a select few programs anyway (all games, Google Earth, Windows Media Player, and Paint.NET). Unfortunately, it isn't an option to just unblock them, because my kids will find out and take advantage (think the raptors in Jurassic Park, when the electric fences are shut off, lol).

So, what can I do to fix these issues? It seems people have experienced the same thing in the past as I found a post online from 2012 noting the same issue (though no fix was ever posted).

Thanks again for your time and please let me know if you need any additional information.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the quick reply.

As a work around, turn off the User Account Control settings and check if that helps you in fixing the issue.

What are User Account Control settings?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/what-are-user-account-control-settings#1TC=windows-7

Please update the issue status to assist you further.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Actually, UAC settings are already set to "Never Notify" on the Desktop. However, do you think it will fix the issue on both computers if I turn it off on the laptop, as well?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have yet to receive any further assistance. Are you still looking into this issue? Its going on 2 weeks now that my son is unable to participate in his online class sessions.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 29, 2020 Views 467 Applies to: