Family Safety Errors

Hello,

I am the Director of Technology at a Charter school in Florida.  Due to the amazing price we received on the MS Surface RT we decided to provide all of our students with this amazing tablet.

We are having a few issues when it comes to family safety settings;

We currently have around 600 students enrolled all with Surfaces, since this is a school and kids like to let their minds wonder we obviously had to use Family Safety to ensure that wrong materials were not accessed.  Up until a few days ago we had manually blocked a few pages that we did not want the students on, since they found ways around this we decided to change the web filter to "Designed for Children" as a last resort. Currently we have about 8 Microsoft accounts that we use to manage all of the tablets (at the time you were only allowed to manage up to 80 devices per family safety account. Here is the problem we are having:

There are around 15 websites in total that I must allow students to access, when I allow these sites they work fine, but I have to painstakingly block each tablet one at a time, as you can imagine changing the filter settings on that laptops takes for ever, especially since I need to sign in to multiple accounts.  I understand that "Family Safety" has a feature that allows you to allow/block websites you have entered for "All Children".  The issue is, when I click Allow/Block I am presented with a message that asks, "Do you want to allow/block this site for all children?" I click "Yes, all children" but it does not work.  I receive no error messages and it seems like everything is fine, but the site is still blocked/unblocked.

We currently have around 80 devices per account.  I do not know if this will help, but I noticed when I click "Link Family Members" at the top of the page we get the following error: "The page you have requested does not exist, has moved, or is temporarily down." We have been receiving this error for about 4 months now, we did notice however that one 2 of our accounts where we have less than 60 devices listed do not come up with this error.  I am assuming the issue is the amount of devices we have per account.  If this is in fact the issue I am a little confused, as the advertised amount of devices per Family Safety account is way more than what we have per account. 

If I am doing something wrong or if my information is incorrect please let me know, I appreciate everyone's help in advance.

Thank you for your time,

Mike

Answer
Answer

Hi,

1. Are the Surface devices connected to Domain?
  2. Can you still access Hotmail or other Microsoft services?
  3. What browser are you using? Does the issue happens when you use another browser?
  4. What is the status of Family Safety at http://status.live.com?

In case, you are using Internet Explorer reset the Internet Explorer settings on the computer using which you are trying to log in to the Family Safety Website.

Note:

The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might also reset parental control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature. Resetting Internet Explorer isn't reversible, and all previous settings are lost after reset.

Do let us know the status of the issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 25, 2018 Views 338 Applies to: