Failed updates: Windows 7, .NET Framework Rollup updates not installing

Another issue with Windows 7, .NET Framework and failed rollup updates - I have Windows 7 Professional for x64.

On trying to install the one "important" update listed today, namely "December, 2016 Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 3.5.1, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB3205402)", the download tries to begin before throwing up a "failed" message with an error code of 80073712.

What I assume to be the corresponding rollup update for .NET in November, KB3196686, also failed when I tried to update that last month. October was the last month where the rollup update for .NET was successful, though this only refers to 3.5.1, i.e. no mention of 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1 or 4.6.2. Might this be relevant?

I have no idea if I use the .NET Framework, nor to what end, however I'd want to be up to date and secure. If it's helpful at all, it appears I have .NET Framework 4.6.1 installed (according to Control Panel).

Grateful for any help anyone might suggest.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

You're not alone => https://goo.gl/Aotw7l

Answer-by-number:

1. Is KB3188740, KB3207752, and/or KB3197868 [or KB3197867 or KB3197869] listed in Installed Updates (not Update History)? [1]

2. Is it the same computer as in your 07 July 2015 thread?

3. Are you in the habit of using "Registry cleaners" (e.g., Registry Mechanic; System Mechanic; RegCure; RegClean Pro; Advanced SystemCare; Total System Care; Glary Utilities; Registry Booster; McAfee QuickClean; AVG Quick CleanAVG PC TuneUp; Norton Registry Cleaner; Norton PC Tuneup; PCTools Optimiser; SpeedUpMyPC; FixMyPC; PC Doctor; TuneUp Utilities; WinMaximizer; WinSweeper; Comodo System Cleaner; Advanced System Optimizer; CCleaner Registry Cleaner component)?

==============================================
[1] Start | Control Panel | Programs and Features | View installed updates (in left-hand menu)

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, PA Bear. I hope I wasn't hasty in asking for advice in the forum, a similar search with the Knowledge Base number a few days ago (when the update was even newer) returned only one site that I couldn't follow.

Following your numbering:

1) Both KB3188740 and KB3207752 are listed are listed as installed updates, however none of the KB319786* updates you've listed are installed.

2) It is, yes.

3) I fear I'm admitting some kind of horrible bad practice in answering, yes - I've used the registry cleaner component of CCleaner in the past. It won't have been done recently but I can't find anything like a log file to tell exactly when. I recall having used it to try and get rid of a particularly stubborn install of Lightworks that refused to die.

Hope this helps and that I haven't offended your sensibilities with my hamfisted use of a computer!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1. KB3188740 and KB3207752 are listed but not KB3197868...

2. It is the same computer as in my July 2015 thread

3. [YES]

[KB3207752 supersedes (replaces) KB3197868 so don't worry about the latter.]

Assuming Win7 64-bit with Internet Explorer 11 (IE11) installed...

We'll need to "dig a little deeper" here. Please answer each of the following [admittedly tedious] diagnostic questions in a correspondingly-numbered list in your very next reply, preferably without quoting my post:

1a. When (approx. date) did you purchase the computer?

1b. Who manufactured the computer (e.g., Dell; HP; Sony; Lenovo)?

1c. Did Win7 64-bit come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it, did you do a clean install of Win7, or did you upgrade a (e.g., Vista; WinXP) computer to Win7?

1d. Has Windows 10 ever been installed?

1e. Have you ever done a Repair Install and/or a clean install of Windows 7?

2. What is the full name of your installed anti-virus application or security suite and when (approx. date) does your current subscription expire? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender) are installed? What third-party firewall (if any)?

3. Has a(nother) Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer since you bought it?

4. Did a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial [PICK ONE] come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

5. Assuming Java is installed => Is Java Version 8 Update 111 (or higher) installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER ONLY! => http://java.com/en/download/uninstallapplet.jsp [1]

6. Is Adobe Flash Player v24.0.0.186 installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER ONLY! => http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/  

7a. When (exact date) was Internet Explorer 11 installed according to Installed Updates?

7b. What Update Version & KB number are displayed in the second line of text in IE11's Help | About [Alt+H+A] tab; e.g., Update Version: 11.0.99 (KB1231231) ?

9a. Is Firefox version 50.1.0 (or higher) and/or Google Chrome version 55.0.2883.87 (or higher) or any other alternate browser installed?

9b. Is Firefox still "crashing?"

10. Is VLC Player still installed and if so, is it still "crashing?"

11. Is .NET Framework version 4.6.2 installed?  [If you have v4.6.1 was installed, chances are v4.6.2 was also installed via Windows Update during the past year.]

12. Is CCleaner configured such that you're prompted to make backups of changes you're about to make using the Registry Cleaner component and if so, do you accept the prompt & save a backup every time and if so, are those backups still available?

==============================================
[1] No need to install Java if it's not already installed!

PS: You're not the only one getting 80073712 errors this month! None of this month's updates have shown up on my Win7 box. Attempting to install the supposed fix KB3172605 manually resulted in a 80073712 error. D'oh!

0x80073712  ERROR_SXS_COMPONENT_STORE_CORRUPT

The component store is in an inconsistent state. 

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Your assumption is correct with regards to Win 7 64 + IE11 installed.

1a) September 2013

1b) I built it myself, however the motherboard is by MSI.

1c) A clean install of Win 7.

1d) Never

1e) Never

2) AVAST Free Antivirus (12.3.3154.23),  expires 07/17. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is also installed, though it's not set to start up with Windows or monitor all of the time. No third-party firewall.

3) Never

4) No

5) Java not installed

6) Using that link in IE says that I have the out-of-date 180.0.0.129 version

7a) 15/06/2015

7b) Update Version: 11.0.38 (KB3203621)

9a) Those very browsers and versions installed

9b) No

10) Still installed, no longer crashing. I recall having to downgrade version for it to work at the time, others having reported the same problem, have subsequently updated to most current version without issue.

11) Only 4.6.1 is listed under Installed Updates so I assume 4.6.2 is not installed.

12) It is however and I have made backups a long time ago when I had some notion of doing something 'risky', but I've been lazy since. Lesson learned.

=================================

It's reassuring to know that I'm not alone!

Thanks again for your attention, PA Bear, truly appreciated.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1. In Windows Explorer [WinKey+E], navigate to & right-click on:

• C:\Program Files\Avast Software <=this folder

Select PROPERTIES: What's the CREATED date displayed on the resulting GENERAL tab? [1]

2. When & why was MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware (MBAM) installed? Is it MBAM Premium or MBAM Free? MBAM version 2.x or version 3.x? Has MBAM ever detected & quarantined anything since it's been installed?

3. Can you successfully upgrade to Flash Player [plugin for Internet Explorer] version 24.0.0.186 (or higher) by opening Internet Explorer ONLY to this page? => http://www.adobe.com/go/getflash

• BEWARE any pre-checked options to "drive-by" install unwanted, third-party software (e.g., Google Toolbar; McAfee Security Scan Plus)!

COMMENT: As far as I can tell, the only security-related update in the Dec-16 .NET Rollup addresses a [relatively minor IMHO] vulnerability in .NET v4.6.2. Since you don't have v4.6.2 installed (according to your last reply), you might want to just hide the darn thing & move on with your life. [You're not the only one who dislikes or cannot comprehend these new "rollup" updates.]

====================================================

[1] COMMENT ONLY: I've seen some pretty questionable behavior where an Avast application is installed, especially since Avast acquired AVG earlier this year. YMMV

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1) 17th June, 2015.

2) It's one of those things I install as a matter of course, so it will have been there for years. It's the Home Free version 2.2.1.1043. The logs currently show quarantined files (both named "file.exe") that were placed there in July of 2015.

3) Flash player now up to date in IE.

===================

Indeed, having read posts from you and others far more literate than myself, I think I'll hide it for now and keep an eye out for possible solutions to come. If there's anything you would be interested in me trying for completeness, do let me know.

And yes, I recall a fairly recent AVAST upgrade version installing something (Safezone Browser or similar?) without asking - something else that required some reading and fixing.

Many, many thanks again, PA Bear!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1. What, if any, other AV apps were installed between September of 2013 (when you built the computer) and 17 June 2015 (when you installed Avast Free)?

2. Since MBAM Free detected & quarantined at least one (1) item in July of 2015, how have you determined that Avast Free was installed and has been working properly since June of 2015? [Rhetorical question, really - no need to answer]

PS: You'll be hiding KB3205402 at your own risk. I didn't tell you to hide it. That being said, please bookmark this thread. If another security-related update for .NET fails to install, reply to this thread instead of beginning a new one. That'll save you lots of time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

With a lot of blood, sweat & tears, I've managed to install the two Dec-16 updates for Win7 but I'm not sure the .NET rollup "agreed" with my system. Ditto, possibly, for the "Security and Quality" rollup for Win7. (Since these rollups started in October, I've installed the Security-only updates for Win7 manually via the Microsoft Update Catalogue.) That being said, two (2) non-security updates still fail to install with 0x80073712 errors - and my Mail Client's still screwed up. D'oh!

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So I'm an idiot...the gap between the build and all the 2015 dates I gave you didn't make me think until your first question rang one of the few remaining bells in my head!

I totally forgot about having replaced the original SSD with a bigger one last year. In my defence, "life events"...and the Windows install was as far as possible, though not a clone, a copy of what was on the old drive. More than a year without a Windows Update problem before the recent rollups.

To avoid making my original question too convoluted, I also omitted to say that I got different error messages from Windows when it refused to install security-only updates for December that I downloaded manually from the MUC. Rather than the blood, sweat and tears, I gave up, but if it would be of any interest or use I can certainly try and again and post the resulting "computer says NO!" error.

Of course, the thread has been bookmarked, I'll be curious to see what if any progress I'm able to make with January's update.

Cheers again!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I totally forgot about having replaced the original SSD with a bigger one last year...

The plot thickens!

1a. When (exact date, preferably) did you replace the SSD (or replace the original HDD with a SSD)?

1b. How long was the computer connected to the internet before you got Avast Free installed on 17 June 2015?

2a. How did you get Windows 7 installed on the new SSD?

2b. Did you install Internet Explorer 11 manually on 15 June 2015 (two days before you installed Avast Free!) or was it offered & install via Windows Update?

I also omitted to say that I got different error messages from Windows when it refused to install security-only updates for December that I downloaded manually from the [Microsoft Update Catalogue]...

3. So neither KB3188740 nor KB3207752 was offered & installed via Windows Update, you downloaded the installers for each update & install them manually, is that correct?

Methinks you're looking at doing a clean install of Win7 again, my friend!

Happy Holidaze!

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Apologies for the delay in replying and for the likely vague information that my old brain now laughs at me for trying to recall!

1a) It would have been the same date that I installed Windows, 15th June 2015 (systeminfo agrees);

1b) The gaps in dates here make no sense to me - all "voluntary" non-OS software, including AVAST, was downloaded on another computer and installed before the new install was exposed to the internet to allow for Windows Update to do its thing;

2a) From DVD;

2b) I haven't used IE on purpose for years, so it's only there via Windows Update (hence my not knowing Flash was out of date until you highlighted it for me);

3) Correct. And on trying to install them, the same "nuh-uh" message appears.

Yes, perhaps it's time for that clean install, a punishment for my bad practices, see if I can't do better in future...

Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 18, 2023 Views 4,548 Applies to: