Failed updates error code 800F0816 and KB979482

I had 131 updates offered, several of them failed with an error code 800F0816 and KB979482. Please help!! Thank you.

Question Info

Last updated October 29, 2018 Views 5,789 Applies to:
Answer
...I had called the guy who cleaned my computer last time to help me with it. He said that he already should have taken care of the hijacker by doing the flattening and rebuilding process (he calls erasing) then he does a destructive recovery (he calls a system recovery). He said after he does the clean install of Windows 7 that he would uninstall the preinstalled McAcfee for me...

If the tech used the hidden Recovery partition to do the clean install, the McAfee free-trialware would have been installed again - in which case he'd need to (a) uninstall the McAfee free-trialware AND THEN (b) run the McAfee removal tool & reboot (c) BEFORE he installed the McAfee/Verizon freebie (or any other anti-virus application) AND BEFORE he or you installed any Windows Updates.

If the computer's still under his Warranty/Guarantee, by all means take it back to him & have him do another clean install properly this time (at no additional charge) - or you may need to find another, more-competent tech.

That being said...

IMHO that McAfee/Verizon freebie (AKA McAfee Security Center) is one of the worst security suites on the market. [You're getting what you and Verizon (don't) pay for!  Yes, McAfee gives it to ISPs at no-charge as a marketing gimmick.]  A casual survey of Malware Removal forums will show you that most of the infected computers are running either AVG Free or McAfee Security Center.

TIP: Next time around, have your tech install Microsoft Security Essentials (also free but much more dependable) => http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.