fail to boot "No bootable device" "Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing" "The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again."

I started my laptop (Acer S7-391) 2 days back and it was fine, did some windows updates. I was able to login after reboot, then I left my desk for a few minutes...when I came back I see the black screen with "No bootable device" message!!!

I did some research and tried a few things, sadly it is still NOT booting...
Please let me know...
1) what else can be done to have it running again, without having to reinstall windows, if possible
which boot mode should be set? which partition should be active?
2) (if there's no way to get the existing install working again) steps for clean install & configurations...if that is still an option...not an ssd issue?
   >should I clean&re-partition the drives? how should it be done?
   >settings in BIOS? boot mode?
   >It came with windows 8, then I did the free upgrade to windows 10. I have the old windows 8 backup image. Should I restore 8, then upgrade to 10? or reset with windows 10?...If I can still get windows 10, read that free upgrade to windows 10 is no longer available...

Here's what I tried...
>change boot mode from UEFI to Legacy BIOS
--still unable to boot
  CTRL+i showing disk/volume information
Volume0 RAID0(Stripe) Status Normal Bootable Yes

>boot from USB and repair
--Failed, windows is unable to repair

>download and install latest BIOS firmaware from acer's support site (BIOS 2.18)
--Now a different error display
Windows Boot Manager showing
"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause......"

>boot from USB and repair
--Failed, windows is unable to repair

>then I found and can access my original C drive, somehow it became G drive...all files seem to be there

>diskpart>list volume showing
Volume 0 C Recovery NTFS 400MB <-- this is ACTIVE
Volume 1 F ESP FAT32 300MB
Volume 2 G Acer NTFS 222GB
Volume 3 H Push Button FAT32 15GB
(D&E being removable drives)
Recovery drive containing OEM, Recovery, Temp dir
ESP drive containing EFI dir

>chkdsk /f
--found and corrected many issues "Windows has made corrections to the file system."
--run with /r seems to be stuck at stage4 50% for more than 1 hr...read that it is unnecessary to run with /r on SSD so I killed it

>changing boot mode back to UEFI, showing a different error message
blue message box "Windows Boot Manager boot failed"

>making G: (the original drive with windows installation) active -- no luck UEFI or Legacy mode

>sfc /scannow
--"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them."
still unable to boot

>bootrec /RebuildBcd /fixMbr /fixboot
--completed successfully, still not booting...

--error "An operating system wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system."

(followed steps here http://www.thewindowsclub.com/the-drive-where-windows-is-installed-is-locked)

Options when booting from recovery usb
>"Refresh your PC"
--error "The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again."

>"Startup Repair"
--error "Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC"

>"System Restore"
--error "To use System Restore, you must specify which Windows installation to restore"
--tried running from cmd in offline mode, but all previously created restore points are gone...

>"System Image Recover"
--error "Windows cannot find a system image on this computer"

>"Reset your PC"
--error "Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing."

Appreciate your help!!

Hi. I am a fellow community Member who likes to help out when I can.

Recent Windows updates have introduced critical faults that Microsoft development teams are scrambling to correct. These two articles have some great steps for resolving many of them.

https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-april...

https://www.yourwindowsguide.com/2018/05/what-i...

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi. I am a fellow community Member who likes to help out when I can.

Recent Windows updates have introduced critical faults that Microsoft development teams are scrambling to correct. These two articles have some great steps for resolving many of them.

https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-april...

https://www.yourwindowsguide.com/2018/05/what-i...

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Hello, thanks for the quick reply and the links, but I did not find my issue in those links...my laptop haven't got to the 1803 update yet.

However! I finally found solution to my issue in the following link and my laptop is running again, without haivng to reinstall windows.
Instead of using my existing restore usb, I downloaded windows 10 ISO and copied the files to the usb.

https://www.wintips.org/fix-operating-system-was-n0t-found-error-on-windows-10-8-solved/

Now it shows 1803 update is available for download...I hesitate to proceed with that...

2 more questions if anyone know?
1) Should I switch back to UEFI mode?

I now see the additional Recovery, ESP, and Push Button Reset drives showing up that was not there before my system got messed up

2) After restart, RAID status is now showing "Error Occured(0)" during boot, before the windows startup screen.

RAID Volumes:
ID Name Level Strip Size Status Bootable
0 Volume0 RAID0(Stripe) 16KB 238.5GB Normal Yes

Physical Devices:
ID Device Model Serial# Size Type/Status(Vol ID)
0 LITEONIT CMT-128 ... 119.2GB Error Occurred(0)
1 LITEONIT CMT-128 ... 119.2GB Member Disk(0)

How should this be fixed?

It is still able to startup windows, I can access my files fine. But not sure if that issue will eventually blow up...
diskpart is showing Healthy status for all partitions.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 19, 2023 Views 1,427 Applies to: