Factory Reset to fix WebCam

I am having problems with my built in WebCam on my Laptop. When using the Camera App, Microsoft Teams and Zoom I keep getting an error code that says that it coudn't find my webcam. I have updated the drivers and uninstalled and reinstalled the webcam. The maufacturer has suggested I do a factory reset to try and see if that solves the issue. 

Is there anything else I can do before I reset my laptop?

Hi Rachel, my name is Neil, I'm an independent adviser and a Windows 10 user like you.

Sorry you're having trouble with your webcam. Let's see if we can get it working.

Can you first check something for me.

Can you click your Windows Start button and then scroll down to the Camera App and click on it.

Is this App able to use your webcam? If not, what message does it display here?
Neil :)

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Neil,

When I open the camera app it flicks between three different error messages:

• We can't find your camera
  • Something went wrong
  • Close other apps

The worst thing is that I've only had this laptop since the end of April. 

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

OK, can you give me the make and model of your laptop please.

In the meantime whilst i look into this further for you, can you have a look through the following list of fixes to see if any are relevant and work for you (I appreciate you may have already tried some of the steps below):

WEBCAM BUTTONS

If you are using a laptop, does it have a webcam key you can press (usually on the one of the F Keys)? It normally has a picture on the F key that represents a webcam.

Normally pressing and holding the Fn button (function button) + the associated F Key will turn on / off your webcam when it is pressed. Sometimes you don't need to press the Fn key and just the F Key to cycle it On or Off.

Other computers can have a physical hardware button you need to press or slide into an On position.

Some laptops have a sliding lens cover that when closed or not fully opened properly will prevent your webcam from working.

If this does not work try the following:

PRIVACY SETTINGS

Can you press the Windows Key + I on your keyboard to open Settings.

Now click on Privacy.

On the left hand side under "App permissions", click on Camera.

First of all, make sure the slider under "Allow apps to access your camera" is turned on.

Then under "Choose which Microsoft Store apps can access your camera" make sure the sliders for the Apps you want to use your camera are all turned on.

Close the settings and then try and use your camera again.

ANTI-VIRUS & FIREWALL

Can you also check your anti-virus software for any Privacy Protection settings it may have. Some anti-virus programs (like Kaspersky) block your webcam by default to stop unauthorised monitoring.

Also check your firewall software for Privacy Settings and also make sure that any Apps that want to use your camera are allowed to pass through your firewall.

UNINSTALL / REINSTALL

If you can Right Click your Start button and then choose Device Manager from the list.

In Device Manager, click the View menu and select "Show hidden devices"

Look for your webcam in the list. It might be under >Imaging Devices or >Other Devices. Click on the arrow > next to a category to expand that category until you find your webcam.

When you find your Webcam, Right Click on the webcam and choose "Uninstall Device"

Make sure you check the box to "Delete the driver software for this device".

Click the Uninstall button.

Now close down Device Manager and reboot your computer. Your computer will reinstall the webcam driver as it reboots.

When you have rebooted, check to see if your problem is resolved.

Let me know how you get on.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Neil,

I tried all of the fixes that you suggested and still not joy. I am using an ASUS VivioBook X512FA-EJ1401T.

Is there anything else I can try?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

OK, the manufacturer has a support page dedicated to your webcam and it can be found here: https://www.asus.com/uk/support/FAQ/109836

I would follow every step laid out since this is the manufacturer of your device and are best placed to solve the issue with their camera hardware.

It might be that you need a BIOS update. They updated their FAQ regarding the BIOS update around the end of August...just a few weeks ago. These updates are normally brought out so that the laptop is compatible again with the latest version of Windows 10.

If their steps don't work then if you only bought the laptop at the end of April, then you will definitely have warranty and advanced support help available. I highly recommend you speak with them first before resetting your laptop.

Let me know how you get on.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

**NOTE**
Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 31, 2024 Views 5,003 Applies to: