External Monitor having resolution Issues

Hey there,

I have a just bought a new Laptop and It has Windows 10 Preinstalled in it (More details provided below). Now, I am using an External Display (My old PC's Monitor) which has maximum Resolution capacity - 1366 x 768 (Model details given below) so now if I connect my laptop and monitor then the monitor should render on 1366x768 max resolution, right?

But here is the twist, I connected my laptop and monitor so at first it was showing as expected (Laptop Res - 1920x1080 and Monitor Res - 1366x768) and I started working and then I took a break so Laptop went to sleep and then when I got back and woke it up it was totally unexpected scenario (Laptop Res- 1920x1080 and Monitor Res - 1920x1080). So basically, I am trying to find out the reason behind it.

Also, is it fine to use the display in resolution, which it should not be supporting?

Windows Details:

Laptop Specifications:

External Display Specifications:

Here is the link to the site from where I have taken this Specification Screenshot for my external Display.

Answer
Answer

Hello D_Gamer_007,    

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We appreciate that you've taken the time to post your concern here in Microsoft Community Forum.   

I can understand the situation must be difficult for you when the system doesn't work as it should. However, let us follow these methods and check if that helps.

Method #1 Check to see if you have the latest Windows Updates installed. Look for the optional updates as it might give the driver updates you want. Install Windows updates:

Click here: Windows Update

Method #2 Try unplugging the monitor cable and plugging it back again as it will force a reset and then check for the resolution. At times, restarting the display/graphics driver might fix the issue. So, it’s a good idea to restart the display driver by simultaneously pressing Windows + Ctrl + Shift + B keys. Your PC will make a beeping sound once while restating the display driver and your screen might flicker once during the same.

As you are using a HDMI cable with a VGA adaptor, you may want to use a single VGA cable itself to connect the laptop to the monitor and check if that helps.

We look forward to your response.  

Sincerely,       

Jason Guer,       

Consumer M365 Forum Moderator 

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 3, 2024 Views 1,156 Applies to: