Extend System Drive but recovery partition is in the way.

I just replaced my system drive with a bigger drive. Worked fine, but now I can't extend the partition because the free space is not contiguous. I have a System Reserved (350MB), C-Drive/healthy/boot/etc (297GB), Recovery Partition (450MB), Unallocated (167GB). So when I right click on C-Drive, expand partition is greyed out. I assume it's because the unallocated space is not contiguous.

I'm running windows 10. Anyone have any ideas how I can resolve this and make one single system drive?

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community

I appreciate your interest in windows 10 and also for trying the troubleshooting steps to fix the issue.

I understand the inconvenience you faced. I will help you with this.

I need more information about this issue so that I can assist you better.

1. Have you installed all the latest updates?

2. Did you login as administrator account?

3. Which account are you using Microsoft account or Local account?

I would suggest you to make free space for doing that you have to delete unimportant data from your computer to check the status of the issue.

Let us know the answers of the above questions so that we can assist you better.

Thanks.

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Reply In reply to deleted message

Hi,

A lot of times the 450mb Recovery partition is mostly empty....

In addition to the above suggestion, and relocating the Recovery, you might just delete it...

You will need a bootable 3rd party program to do this...

You may need to do a Startup Repair after deleting the Recovery... I Did Not, but others have...

You may need to do a Startup Repair regardless of the method you use to extend your partition. Especially if it involves Moving or Deleting the Recovery.. 

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

It is true that you may lose some of your Recovery options...

Personally, I don't use them anyway...

I prefer using 3rd party imaging programs running from a bootable flash drive..

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

yes, all updates installed, logged in as admin, which is my Microsoft account.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I ended up getting 3rd party software which did allow me to "move" the partition to the end of the space, so then I could extend my C drive. however in that process, when I moved the recovery partition, it actually assigned that partition a drive letter. And when I looked at the properties for that drive, it showed that there was a chunk of used space (even though it previously had nothing). But then going into that drive, there were no files listed. So I figured I hosed it and just blew it away. Now it's sitting out at the end of the drive as unallocated space.

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

would like to know what recovery options I just lost by blowing it away, but I actually haven't used any of them in the past.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

would like to know what recovery options I just lost by blowing it away, but I actually haven't used any of them in the past.

My problem is exactly the same: I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 on a 250GB disk, cloned it to a 1TB disk and ended up with a 232GB system partition (C:), directly followed by a 450MB recovery partition, followed by close to 700GB unallocated space. I would like to extend C: to the unallocated space.

The recovery partition provides access to a few troubleshooting options when your system can't boot. I found a blog entry that explains that rather well and also describes a method to move the recovery partition elsewhere. Caveat: It covers Windows 7 and 8 only.

You'll find more details about the Windows 10 recovery environment at a Microsoft web site.

I will post here should I succeed in moving the recovery partition out of the way.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

The 450 mb Recovery partition contains the WinRE repair console that was previously in hidden C:\Recovery, and exists to autostart needed Repairs or reboot into them when accessing Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10 .  It is only absolutely needed if in Disk Mgmt it is marked System Active on an MBR disk using Legacy BIOS', since this means it also contains the boot files.  However those boot files can be moved into C first to still delete Recovery.  Bootmgr - Move to C:\ with EasyBCD 

Without it you'll need to Create a recovery drive - Microsoft Windows or Create Windows 10 Installation Media to have in case you need to boot in to do these Repairs.  If you create a Recovery Drive it will offer to remove the Recovery partition afterwards. 

I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier because it's easy to move space around between partitions even if they are not adjacent following How to extend partition easily with Partition Wizard - video help .  For example you could choose C and gather all the unallocated space from the other side of Recovery and it would bump Recovery over to the end. 

However I would not move EFI System partition used for UEFI, and if you move System Reserved partition used for MBR Legacy BIOS' have the disk standing by as it may require Startup Repair.

The hidden MSR partition issued on GPT disk for UEFI can provide an immovable barrier but also can be deleted according to Removing Microsoft Reserved Partition (MSR) from secondary GPT disk?  More about it here Microsoft Reserved Partition - Wikipedia

For any other questions or changes please Post a screenshot of Disk Mgmt and explain what you want to do. 

----------------------------------
I am a volunteer and not Microsoft.

Over 100,000 helped in forums for 10 years. I don't quit for those who are polite and cooperative.

Windows MVP 2010-20

27 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 11, 2020 Views 64,977 Applies to: