Event ID 10016: COM Server application with CLSID in Windows 10.

Original Title: Event ID 10016:   COM Server application with CLSID

Error message:  “The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID.”

The Event Viewer shows that this error has occurred hundreds of times in the last 4 days.  I have seen several posts about it and it seems that some changes need to be made to the Registry.  However, there are some variations in the directions and I would like to know exactly what to do.  Also, what is the general nature of this error?

Full text: 

The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {C2F03A33-21F5-47FA-B4BB-156362A2F239}  and APPID {316CDED5-E4AE-4B15-9113-7055D84DCC97}

to the user Cathy-HP\Cathy SID (S-1-5-21-3585238846-207283309-4272399233-1000) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.6.1.52_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy SID (S-1-15-2-1861897761-1695161497-2927542615-642690995-327840285-2659745135-2630312742). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Hello,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused and will assist you in resolving the issue.

A CLSID is a globally unique identifier that identifies a COM class object. If your server or container allows linking to its embedded objects, you need to register a CLSID for each supported class of objects.

Refer to the link below on CLSID Key for more information:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms691424(v=vs.85).aspx

It is best if you post your query in the TechNet forum as the issue you are facing is more complex than what is typically answered in the Microsoft Answers forums. IT Professionals on TechNet Forums are well equipped and will assist you better in resolving the issue you are facing with.

TechNet forum Link:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=win10itprogeneral%2Cwin10itprovirt%2Cwin10itpronetworking%2Cwin10itprosecurity%2Cwin10itprohardware&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

Write to us for assistance regarding any Windows related query, we will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I posted my question on the Tech Net forum but they gave no more insight into this issue than you did.  They did suggest a resolution but I want to have some basic understanding of the problem before making changes in the Registry.

By the way, the TechNet forum said that I should ask the question here.  I really don't understand how we are supposed to figure out where to post questions when the people running the forums don't seem to agree on the criteria.

I would like as clear an answer as possible to these questions:  My understanding from reading elsewhere talks about COM and DCOM as related to clients and servers.   It sounds like these can be on the same computer.  Is that correct?  Or does their use require a network?  

I am not part of a network and would like to understand if there could be something nefarious going on.  I doubt there is but just want to make sure.

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem.

Your question is clear and well stated. I think it is sad that Microsoft forum leaders cannot respond in kind with some clear information regarding the problem that needs attention.

19 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same error and lack of understanding regarding registry's... I upgraded to WIN 10 and I have gotten this and numerous other errors for about 2 weeks now. None of them make any sense to me and the pc will turn off or freeze whenever it feels like it. Must do more research!

My error :

The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID 
{C2F03A33-21F5-47FA-B4BB-156362A2F239}
 and APPID 
{316CDED5-E4AE-4B15-9113-7055D84DCC97}
 to the user Anastasia-PC\Anastasia SID (S-1-5-21-2580608811-1326192469-2018314498-1000) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Microsoft.Windows.FeatureOnDemand.InsiderHub_10.0.10586.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy SID (S-1-15-2-4016783169-893401051-2237370320-274899566-412088533-2398988950-2155762795). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I assume your user name is Anastasia? I have a similar error condition with this application and Cortana. In your case with the FeatureOnDemand.InsiderHub.... application. You can run dcomcnfg.exe and drill down to the Immersion Shell which is the app here that's mad at you. The error is telling you to right click on the immersion shell application and set the launch, permissions, and configuration to custom and make sure Anastasia is added along with the other users like the system, administrators, etc. are.  Give your user Local and Remote permissions.

If you can't access this in edit mode you'll probably need to use regedit to search for {316CDED5-E4AE-4B15-9113-7055D84DCC97} and add full control permissions* to user Anastasia so you can make changes with the dcomcnfg app. I don't think you need to change the permissions for the CSLID. But that may be another thing to try.

This did not eliminate my 10016 Cortana/Immersion Shell errors but it did greatly reduce them. In my case the errors seem benign, just irritating to have about 400 errors per day. Now I only get about 20-40.

*This can get a little complex, to edit the permissions on the app in regedit,  I had to take ownership from Trusted Installer. You can give it back with NT SERVICE\TRUSTEDINSTALLER.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

COM and DCOM are normal components of any windows operating system and in most cases for most users, are never used for any computer other than the Host.  You are correct in that many of these items can be remote launched.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Also, if my suggestion doesn't help you. There is a Windows Update Fix Tool for W10 on the network someplace.

Also it might work to turn off insider updates within Windows Update. It looks like that service is what's erring with the Immersion Shell.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 15, 2024 Views 14,961 Applies to: