ESENT 642 errors after update to version 2004

I posted in another forum section as an additional responder in someone else's thread to having this problem. I am starting my own thread in this section hoping someone from Microsoft can respond with a fix.

Since upgrading from 1909 to 2004 (win 10 home 64 bit) late on Wednesday, I've now encountered 479 entries of this error in the event viewer.

Not all entries are the same but all are similar. I had this problem when I upgraded to 1903 with esent 455 errors that was fixed by adding folders TileDataLayer and Database to a Win32 system folder. That does not work for this error. I've run sfc /scannow and DISM. Neither showed any errors.

I am not the only one with this problem. It's on Reddit and in another thread on this forum. No one has posted a fix yet and I would appreciate it to know if Microsoft is aware of this problem and is there a fix or one in the works. In a few days I fear I will have to revert to 1909 to avoid thousands of this error showing in the event viewer. Thanks for any help with this.

The problem (?) still exists with over 800 entries for this one event in event viewer. At this point, it does not seem to be affecting performance but if any moderator or Microsoft is monitoring this forum, I'd just like to know what it means. Thanks.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

KenMel,

I have seen like entries in my event viewer when i was still using 2004. I never had any problems w/ any of the earlier updates. I gave up and rolled all 3 of my PC"s back to 1909. They are all working as before i tried the update.

2004 would eventually cause a crash when opening apps, mainly browsers. They were the most prone to crashing when waking up from sleep mode.

Just wanted you to know your not alone.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I too, have had 826 of these enties - all since I upgraded to 2004, 4 days ago. I have also suffered from pc hangs and app crashes usually after the machine as resumed from sleep - so first thing in the morning or later in the day if it has not been used for a long time. Currently, seriously considering a rollback to 1909.

Sorry this didn't help.

Steve,

I reinstalled 2004 last night w/ no problems. This mourning its doing the same thing it did before when waking it from sleep mode, hangs up when opening apps like the browsers Firefox & edge. Once it hangs the only way to get of it is to use task mgr.

I to get all the same messages in event viewer re: ESENT failures.

Windows has a problem and needs to address it.

I am rolling back to 1909 and will stay there until i see  something from Microsoft addressing this issue.

The problems i see on the web re: 2004 I do not have. So Microsoft must not know about this one.

When i rolled it back, in the narrative they provide, i wrote  detailed report. I hope somebody reads it.

Sorry this didn't help.

Gerry,

I have now rolled back to 1909 and the event messages have stopped. I too wrote a lengthy report as part of the roll back - let's hope it get some attention.

Steve

Sorry this didn't help.

It's now 10 days since 2004 updated and the Windows.old folder was automatically deleted. My ESENT 642 warnings in event viewer have STOPPED. I cannot answer as to crashing apps and slowdowns but as far as the ESENT warning goes, I think this was the solution.

Sorry this didn't help.

Run chkdsk C: /r /f in an admin command prompt or power shell. I've had to do this after some updates and it has fixed the problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

David, thanks for replying to my problem.

I rolled my computer back to version 1909, back in June, and will probably wait for Microsoft to address the current problems. I check the community daily and do not see where they have done anything.

chkdsk C: /r /f  is a command i have not used in a long time. When i decide to try and install version 2004 again, i will try this and see what it does for me if i have any problems.

Again thanks for the reply.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hallo Ken,

Eventlog warnings ; ESENT id=642
https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/157343-eventlog-warnings-esent-id-642-a.html

On the page above somebody find a solution, maybe its also help full for you.

Best regards,

Jacquito.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 8, 2020 Views 3,207 Applies to: