Errors Trying To Re-install Windows 10

I have a Dell 15 5567 laptop that is out of warranty.  I want to give it to a friend so I wanted to do a factory restore.  I followed the Windows factory restore and it didn’t work.  I then proceeded to use my recovery flash drive that I made when I first got the laptop.  Again, I followed the instructions and ir appears that it cleaned the drive and installed Windows 10, BUT!  The screen comes on showing the wallpaper and the word ADMINISTRATOR.  The circle is going around for several minutes and then an OKAY button appears.  I click on the OKAY button and get a dialog box that says, “Windows could not parse or process unattend answer file [C:\\Windows\Panther\unattend.xml] for pass [auditUser].  The settings specified in the answer file cannot be applied.  The error was detected while processing setting for component [Microsoft-Windows-Deployment]. 

So I click OKAY and get a blue scree with the word PREPARING and the circle again.  Shortly thereafter it goes away and the DELL boot screen comes on.  After a few seconds the screen goes black and then the DELL boot screen comes back on.  It runs a while longer and then the ADMINSTRATOR word and scenic background comes on again.  Then I get a different dialog box that reads, “Windows could not complete the installation.  To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation.

I click OKAY again, it goes through the boot process again with the DELL screen and shortly thereafter it shows the ADMINISTRATOR word and says Welcome.  It then has the dialog box come up again that says Windows could not complete installation.  To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation.

Then it starts all over again.

Answer
Answer
Hi, Doug,

Follow these steps to create Recovery Media
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...
Use the option to Install on Another PC
When Finished, go to the computer you wish to Reinstall Windows on.
Plug in the USB device
Select Reset PC
Opt to erase data thoroughly
When given the option > Select Keep Nothing
This will clean install Windows 10 on the unit.

Let your friend type in his User Name and Password once Windows completes the installation.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
If you've been getting Insider Builds of Windows 10, the Recovery partition that was original to the system was removed in one of the builds.

Once you plug in the Recovery USB, it should begin loading Windows.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 18, 2023 Views 2,347 Applies to: