Error - There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a writable disk. Not able to write CD/DVD in Windows XP machine.

Original Title: DVD/CD drive not recognized as recordable device.__

I am having an issue with my DVD/CD RW drive. I cannot record data to the drive. I get the message: There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a writable disk.  There is of course a new writable CD-rw disk in the drive. I have done all the suggested troubleshooting fixes including editing the registry, (which, btw DID show the drive as a CD-rom). Now the properties tab shows the recording tab, however the error message persists and nothing I do seems to change it. Any Ideas?

Hi HarleyDoug,

·        What steps you have tried other than editing the registry to fix the issue?

·        Did you make any software or hardware changes on your machine prior to this issue?

You may follow this link & check if the issue persists.

How to troubleshoot issues that occur when you write data to a CD-R or CD-RW optical disc in Windows XP

Hope the information helps. Please post back and let us know.

Regards
Debleena S
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Debleena,

I discovered the drive not working quite by accident, so I'm not sure how long it has been going on or if any software changes have been made. I suspect that is not the issue as I have made no changes in quite some time. I have gone so far as to exchange the drive from a machine that was known to be working to eliminate the possibility of a defective drive. When I attempted to copy a file to disk, I found that in the properties window of the drive, there was no recording tab. I inspected the registry as directed in the kb article and discovered that the drive was indeed set as a non-recordable device. After adjusting the value for the drive from 3 to 2, the recording tab was again visible in the properties window of the drive. However, the drive will still not copy a file.  My HD is partitioned C, D, E, F, and G. My optical drive is Drive H:. It is listed as a CD-R drive when in fact it is a combination DVD-RW/CD-RW drive. I don't know if that really makes a difference but I am mentioning it just in case it does. This has given me fits trying to restore the function of the drive so any help or advice you could give would certainly be welcome.

Sincerely,

HarleyDoug

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 30, 2022 Views 2,093 Applies to: