Error: "RPC server Unavailable" at startup

When I first start my Laptop I always get an RPC Unavailable,  my laptop then re-starts sometimes 1 and up to 7 times, it then behaves ok until I next do a start up.  I have gone to start> run> msconfig> normal startup, it still gives RPC Unavailable checking back normal startup stays in place.  So any other thoughts help ideas or whatever please.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello Brian,

Welcome to Microsoft Community Forum.

An RPC client is an application running on any given computer that uses the RPC protocol to communicate with an RPC server.

An RPC server is a communications interface provided by an application or service that allows remote clients to connect, pass commands, and transfer data using the RPC protocol.

Please reply to these questions, to understand the issue better:

1. What is the complete error message?

2. Are you using a 3rd party antivirus application on your computer?

3. Do you remember making any changes to the system prior to this issue?

I would suggest you to try the following methods:

Method 1:

I would suggest you to check if you are able to access the RPC (Remote Procedure Call) service and also make sure that the following services are started and the startup type should be set to Automatic.

If it is not started follow these steps:

a) Click Start, type “services.msc” (without quotes) in the start search box and press Enter.
b) In the Services window, find Remote Procedure Call and right click on it to select Properties.
c) Under the General tab make sure the Startup type is Automatic and the Service status says Started.

Repeat the steps b & c to f for the following services also:

DHCP Client, RPC Endpoint Mapper & Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator.

Method 2:

Step 1: Boot the computer in Safe mode and check if the issue persists.

Safe mode starts Windows with a limited set of files and drivers. Startup programs don't run in safe mode, and only the basic drivers needed to start Windows are installed.

Refer to the link below on instructions to get In Safe Mode.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/start-computer-safe-mode#start-computer-safe-mode=windows-7

Step 2: If the issue does not persists in Safe Mode then perform a clean boot to check if any third party application is causing the issue, as clean boot helps in eliminating software conflicts.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After troubleshooting, refer to this section ‘How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting’.

Method 3:

If issue persists, I would suggest you to check if you face the same issue in different user account. You may create a new user account on your computer and then check.

Create a new user account-
http://Windows.microsoft.com/en-us/Windows7/Create-a-user-account

If you do not face the same issue in a new user account then you may refer the below link and use the steps provided to fix a corrupted user profile -

http://Windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows7/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thank you

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

The completer error code is "Exception EOLeSysError in module Skype.exe at 001251C9

The RPC server is unavailable"

Method 1.     All are  Automatic and the Service status says Started.

Method 2.     Laptop booted up ok in safe mode.  Step 2 laptop booted up ok in Clean boot

I haven't tried Method 3 yet as I am now wondering if it is something to do with Skype.

I'll wait you response

B Streetly

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Brian,

Thank You for the reply.

1) When you say "Laptop booted up ok in safe mode". Do you still get any error message?

If you are not getting any startup error in a clean boot then, refer the suggestions for "How to determine what is causing the problem by performing a clean boot".

How to perform a clean boot in Windows
Refer (How to determine what is causing the problem by performing a clean boot)

Note: After troubleshooting, refer to this section ‘How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting’.

Hope this helps. Otherwise, reply to this response with the required information and we will be happy to help you again.

Thank You.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

When I started in safe Mode no errors, when I used clean boot no errors, when I go back to start normally I still get the error. "Exception EOLeSysError in module Skype.exe at 001251C9

The RPC server is unavailable"

B Streetly

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thank You for keeping us updated with the issue.

Please try the steps given in the link in my previous post and get back to us with the status of the issue.

Hope this helps. Otherwise, reply to this response and we will be happy to assist you further. 

Thank you

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have followed all the steps, The error still persists
B Streetly

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thank You for keeping us updated with the issue.

You may try creating a new user account and see if that helps. Please follow the link below to create a new user account.

To create a user account:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-7

Also refer to:

Fixing a corrupted user profile

Hope this helps. Otherwise, write us back and we will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I  did create a new account that worked ok as a basic account. I then deleted it after proving that it worked.

Are you now saying that you want me to make it work as my current account?  with all the programs etc that I use now.

B Streetly

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Brian,

Thank you for updating us with the status of the issue.

1) What do you mean, when you say "worked ok as a basic account. I then deleted it after proving that it worked"?

2) Did you delete the new user account?

If the computer works fine in a new user account, try to refer to the article on "Fixing a corrupted user profile" because, the main user account seems to be corrupted, I would suggest you use the new account and you can move your files from the previous account to the new one. Also, you will be able to access all your programs in the new user account and you need not install them again.

Please follow the link below to fix the issue for a corrupted account.

Hope this helps. Otherwise, reply to this response and we will be happy to help you again.

Thank you

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have also been following this thread as i began having "RPC Error" appear 10 days ago upon login about 50-75% of each boot-up. The only error message right after entering the login is: "RPC Error: Server Unavailable." No other information or error code is visible.

When this happens, I'm not able to open and run Windows 7 except when i reboot in safe mode, but then, I have not been able to diagnose the issue in safe mode since "Services" does not run. 

I am not able to pinpoint any new applications or changes that may be causing this.

Clean boot did not change anything, like safe mode, resulting in a successful boot-up and login, but without critical capabilities. Adding a new user did not change anything--the RPC error code results after i try to login from every user with their correct credentials. I don't have Skype on the machine, so it's not that.

The machine is a refurbished HP8440 early generation i5 machine running Windows 7.

Any suggestions? 

Chris F

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2024 Views 16,291 Applies to: