Error Message: Nsis error Error writing temporary file Make sure your temp folder is valid. Also issues creating account and other problems

Hello I have several issues with my computer I hoping you guys can help with.

First of all whenever I turn on my computer after a restart or just simple shut down I get that error message in the title "Error Message: Nsis error Error writing temporary file Make sure your temp folder is valid." I have seen other people on here get that when trying to install software but not simply when starting up a computer.

Possibly related is the fact that whenever I try to open a word file I get the message "Word could not create the work file. Check the temp environment variable"

I also have issues creating a new account. I have created a new one but it is impossible to log onto it for some reason. It also doesn't show up in the regedit profile list.

I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me what's going on here, and how to fix it.

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

The NSIS errors may occur under one of the following conditions:

1. Software files downloaded from the Internet are not complete.
  2. Downloaded software files have been modified from the original version.
  3. Your PC is infected with a virus.
  4. Physical media being used to install the program is damaged.

1: For this Nsis error writing temporary file make sure your temp folder is valid. Follow the below steps

• What is the make and model of the computer?

Method 1: Step 1: Check is the issue occurs in Safe mode. To boot the system in safe mode please refer to the link below.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-safe-mode

Note: After the troubleshooting, make sure to boot your computer to normal mode.

Step 2: If the issue doesn't occur in safe mode then perform clean boot. A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows.

Please refer to the below article on how to perform a clean boot to know “How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting”

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

NOTE: A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs.

Method 2: The Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free downloadable security tool that provides on-demand scanning and helps remove viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. It works with your existing antivirus software.

Refer to the link to download and run the Microsoft Safety scanner:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx  

Note: The Microsoft Safety Scanner expires 10 days after being downloaded. To rerun a scan with the latest anti-malware definitions, download and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner again. Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

2: For the issue with word, "Word could not create the work file. Check the temp environment variable"

• Which version of Microsoft office have you installed?

I suggest you to post in office forum refer the below link:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office

3: For the issues with user account:

1. Have you created a Microsoft account or a local account which you are not able to login?
  2. Do you receive any error when you try to login to that account?

Please check whether you are able to see the account in windows + x ->Control panel>user account>manage user account> and see if that account is listed.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 6, 2024 Views 36,081 Applies to: