error in windows upgrade error windows 8.1 to windows 10

I want to upgrade my pc windows 8.1 to windows 10 but occurred error like **the installation failed in the FIRST_ BOOT phase during SYSPREP_SPECILIZE operation.**

I am used step for upgrading ->first I download windows 10 iso file from Microsoft ->mount the iso file then->double click on setup and follow all steps, the process will start normally but at last it shows the error all step roll out shows windows 8.1. Windows 10 is not installed.

my pc is dell inspiron 5520R core i5 processor Intel (R) core(TM) i3210M CPU@ 2.50Ghz 4GB RAM and 500 Gb storage.

please help me to solve problem or can I try another step for installation. I am sending images of errors.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are receiving an error, ‘0xC1900101 - 0x30018’ when trying to upgrade from Windows 8.1 to 10. I’ll certainly assist you with the issue.

However, please let us know:

1. Have you purchased a license for Windows 10?

An error that begins with 0xC1900101 is usually a driver error. You may want to refer the steps mentioned in the article Get help with Windows 10 upgrade and installation errors.

Note: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

We can try disabling third party drivers and services and see if that helps. Refer the steps mentioned below:

Hardware clean boot:

I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and disable the devices is Device Manager:

1. Press Windows key + R. This will open Run. Alternatively, you can go to Start and search for Run.

2. In Run dialog box, type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.

3. Now, expand Display adaptersPrintersSound, video and game controllers one by one.

4. Right click on the devices inside the section and click on Disable device.

5. If asked for restart click on restart later and disable all the devices.

6. Close the device manager window.

Once all the devices are disabled, you can perform clean boot. Performing a clean boot will start the computer with minimal set of drivers and programs, to determine whether a background program is causing the issue. Some of the Startup programs will not load after performing a clean boot on the computer. However, that functionality will return when you reset the computer to start normally after finishing the troubleshooting.

To perform a clean boot on the computer refer to the article How to perform a clean boot in Windows.

After performing clean boot, proceed with the installation.

Note: Please refer the section Reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting to boot the computer in to normal mode after troubleshooting.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are receiving an error, ‘0xC1900101 - 0x30018’ when trying to upgrade from Windows 8.1 to 10. I’ll certainly assist you with the issue.

However, please let us know:

1. Have you purchased a license for Windows 10?

An error that begins with 0xC1900101 is usually a driver error. You may want to refer the steps mentioned in the article Get help with Windows 10 upgrade and installation errors.

Note: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

We can try disabling third party drivers and services and see if that helps. Refer the steps mentioned below:

Hardware clean boot:

I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and disable the devices is Device Manager:

1. Press Windows key + R. This will open Run. Alternatively, you can go to Start and search for Run.

2. In Run dialog box, type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.

3. Now, expand Display adaptersPrintersSound, video and game controllers one by one.

4. Right click on the devices inside the section and click on Disable device.

5. If asked for restart click on restart later and disable all the devices.

6. Close the device manager window.

Once all the devices are disabled, you can perform clean boot. Performing a clean boot will start the computer with minimal set of drivers and programs, to determine whether a background program is causing the issue. Some of the Startup programs will not load after performing a clean boot on the computer. However, that functionality will return when you reset the computer to start normally after finishing the troubleshooting.

To perform a clean boot on the computer refer to the article How to perform a clean boot in Windows.

After performing clean boot, proceed with the installation.

Note: Please refer the section Reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting to boot the computer in to normal mode after troubleshooting.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Thanks for your response, I have a license copy of windows 8.but after that I am installing windows 8.1.

but I have a questions after normally start my pc the (windows 8. 1) will start normally & all data will remains or lost. or,

• previous windows i.e. windows 8.1 will remains or lost.

• After that I am directly performing upgrade my pc to windows 10. (on Microsoft site->media creation tool->select upgrade my pc or another way I am using to installing windows 10.

• on main things is that is the process is safe for me means any error occurred during this process that time my previous windows is remain or not.

I am get confused all those things. So, please help me.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 6, 2021 Views 288 Applies to: