Error Code: 1601 Windows Installer could not be accessed when attempting to install various programs

When I try installing various programs, even some that are non Windows, I get the error code 1601. I've tried the little trick for running the commands "msiexec /unreg" and "msiexec /regserver" But I actually get the same exact error even when attempting that. I finally found the file for msiexec, and when I double click it tells me I'm running windows installer 5.0... but I can;t find it to download or any solid fixes for it, not even on the Microsoft troubleshooting page.. and I'm trying to not have to pay the $50 bucks to talk to Microsoft directly about the issue... Any ideas? and by the way this is for Windows 7 Professional OS

Answer
Answer

Windows Installer Errors troubleshooting:

You may follow the steps from the below link: How to troubleshoot problems that may occur when you install, uninstall, or upgrade a program on a Windows-based computer: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2438651

Step 1: Check the Windows Installer Service.

1. Click Start Orb, in the start search box, type Services and press Enter.
2. Scroll down and find the Windows Installer.  Double-click “Windows Installer” in the Services list.
3. On the General tab, make sure the service is started under “Service status”.
4. If the service is not already running, under Service status, click Start, and then click OK.

Step 2: Unregister and re-register the Windows Installer
1.  Click Start Orb, in the start search box, type MSIEXEC /UNREGISTER, and then click OK . 
2.  Click Start Orb, in the start search box, type MSIEXEC /REGSERVER, and then click OK . After you run this command, the operation is complete.
3. Now, try your installation again. 

Step 3: Clean any pending installations
Check the following registry key and clean any entries in the key that you find:
Go to the Start Orb, type in Regedit and select enter.
If you get the User Account Control dialog box that states, Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to the is computer?, Click yes.

Modifying REGISTRY settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of REGISTRY settings can be solved. Modifications of these settings are at your own risk.

Scroll to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\InProgress

Check the following registry key and clean any entries in the key that you find:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations

Step 4: Check the permissions
Verify the System has Full Control on the following keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer

Next, restart your computer and try again.

If still having problems, then create a new Administrator User account and see if the problem could be a corrupt user account.

Please reply back and let us know if this helps with your Windows Installer Error.

Sincerely,

Marilyn

26 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 22, 2024 Views 26,216 Applies to: