Error Code 0xc004c003 - Clean Install after Upgrade - Let's Unite

It has been 51 days since Big Bang when this monster of an error first appeared and we have been hearing the same story over and over again, wait for 24 to 48 hours, activation servers busy, hardware ID issues blah blah blah...

I am creating this thread so all of us who have this issue can ask the question in a single unified thread. Hopefully, this way the complete gravity of the issue would be apparent. Please share your activation issue and any contact you might have had with MS service execs etc ...

***************************My Experience with the Win 10 Upgrade and Activation Issues**************************

I have been an insider ever since the program opened up last year. I was automatically upgraded from Build 10240 to Windows 10 PRO and it was activated. Some driver issues forced me to perform a clean install. I used the windows Media Creation tool and created a bootable USB of Windows 10 PRO 64 Bit edition. I am well aware of how this needs to be performed as I have been doing it well over an year so no issues in the new version of the windows I downloaded from the website.

Post Clean install, I get the error 0xc004c003. Sometimes the description is that the server determined the key is blocked and or the copy is not genuine. I find that bizzare as the Keys were provided by MS to begin with. Other times I get the same error code but this time with the description that I should connect to the internet to activate which once again is ludicrous as I am anyways connected to the internet.

• Running an automated script of "slmgr /ato" has not activated my copy of windows
  • Resetting windows from within WIN 10 has not activated it either
  • Contacted MS support multiple times and each time I am either told to wait 24 - 48 hours or put in queue for Level 2 Tech support which never answers and I have to hang up after waiting for over 2 to 3 hours

*******************************************************************************************************************************

Is MS going to officially acknowledge this issue with one consolidated opinion and release a fix for all us day 0 early adopters (and yes, others too) or are you going to leave us hanging as always?

P.S. If you do not have a solution for this issue, please do not misguide the folks by replying to this thread giving suggestions and hacks or tweaks to activate a clean install or suggest reset PC etc as a substitute for clean install. Please understand that is a very tech savvy group of people so do not insult our intelligence by misdirecting the issue. We are trying to unite everyone who has an issue with activation of Windows 10 clean install after upgrading and activating, please respect our desire to do so.

****************More Clarification for the MVPs & Windows Insiders who performed a clean install ****************

I am fully aware that the Free Upgrade offer is for windows 7 and windows 8.1 users only. The Insider Preview participants who did not have an underlying legitimate OS (Win7 or Win8.1) do not get a free upgrade of Windows 10.

However, If the Insider Preview was installed on a Legitimate version of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 and then upgraded to Windows 10 RTM, it should be activated just like it is activated for upgrades directly from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 and has been clearly mentioned in the Windows Insider Blog Post

I will not question the Flip-flop Microsoft has done regarding giving Windows Insiders a Free copy of RTM but here is my Upgrade path ...

Windows 8.1 PRO (WMC Version) --> Windows 10 Insider Preview (all builds upto 10240) --> Windows 10 PRO Activated --> Clean Install --> Activation Error Code 0xc004c003

Any other flaw you would like to point out in the upgrade procedure? Maybe we need to have consulted an Oracle for the exact time for an upgrade or perhaps it is a Google Conspiracy to under-clock the activation of MS Servers or maybe, just maybe the activation has been redirected towards a cupertino firm instead of the MS servers in Somalia?

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I see that it was not your intention to Free Upgrade from Technical Preview which is becoming an Insider preview channel.  Thank you for clarifying that you weren't attempting free Upgrade which is only available for Window 7 or 8.1. 

In this case I'd suggest contacting the Insider program for Support because several hundred million consumers are trying to get the free Upgrade right now and MS Support is completely swamped.  I doubt whether they can Support Insider previewers at this time. 

Here is the latest on how the Insider program is going to continue after Windows 10 release, and how to activate your latest build:  Enrolling in the Windows Insider Program post Windows 10 release | Windows 10 content from SuperSite for Windows

Windows MVP 2010-2020 (ret).
Millions helped via my tutorials and personally in forums for 14 years.
Please notify me in my articles' Comments if a tutorial link is outdated or ads intrude.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Same problem. Upgraded win 7 to 10. Saw that I was activated. Did a clean install and skipped all the product key prompts. I think I am suppose to just be automatically activated but so far all I'm getting is error code 0xC004C003. I've been told to wait many times over the last week so I'm still waiting. 

If it's true that Microsoft is offering windows 10 free for even pirated copies of windows 7 & 8, then why not just activate everyone? And why is it so hard for genuine copies to upgrade and get activated?

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I was also on insider for several months , untill 10240 after it activated i decided to do a fresh instal with MS media creation tool.

Only to find my activation is blocked with same error  !!

just get told to wait :(

And i dont want to install win 7 again just to get activated

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, I also wanted to mention that I was an insider preview tester for months.  My Toshiba Encore tablet was activated.  This morning, I performed a system reset (erase all files), and came back with a boot loop and blue-screen error of inaccessible boot device.  I used the media creation tool, re-installed Windows 10 from USB, and now I'm unable to activate.  If anyone has any advise, please share!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same here, except didn't have a pre-prod build on this PC.  Upgraded win 8.1 to 10 and checked it was activated.  Worked OK, some niggling problems, decided to do clean install.  Read the guides, double checked was activated.  Skipped all the product key prompts. 0xC004C003.  Told twice by MS to wait 24-48 hrs.  Most recently told (18 hrs ago) that they acknowledge it is a software defect and will fix in 48 hrs by Windows Update but no way I can track the issue.

All seems needlessly complex.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem here.  Switching back to Windows 7 and not advising my company to upgrade at this time. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I did an upgrade from Win7 Pro, to Win10 Pro Technical preview, and then upgraded to RTM.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Even I had the same exact issue. I have been the insider since day one. I upgraded from insider to released version via upgrade. It says activated. As there was too much dump in the system because of so many builds I decided to clean install. But since then the same error. I tried all the ways mention above but no help. This is really frutrating.

This is how MS is paying the insiders who helped the windows 10 to come upto this stage. This is bltant cheating if in case its not activated.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Upgraded from a valid/legal Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Tech preview, to  Windows 10 RTM.  After RTM (which was properly activated), I did a clean install of Windows 10 (booting the install from a USB stick).   The clean install will not active.  I have tried both the product key from the original Windows 8 and the product key from the Windows 10 RTM upgrade (which was different).

The microsoft phone activation tech support people claim that it's a server overload issue, but that is clearly not the case.  It's a usage scenario that their activation algorithms do not properly handle.

As I see it, there are two options for people in this boat:

1) Just wait, and see if they fix the activation server algorithms.  Hopefully someone at MSFT knows there is an issue.

2) Re-install the original OS and perform an upgrade to Windows 10.  Perhaps a clean install from the original OS would also work. This is obviously a lot of work (the OS we love to hate), or impossible if you have a computer with no installation media (very common these days).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I did an upgrade from Win7 Pro, to Win10 Pro Technical preview, and then upgraded to RTM.

Hi Ed -

Did it Activate? 

Was the TP confirmed Activated first? 

Are you providing feedback as an Insider?  Do you see Support options for Insiders?  I can't imagine MS Support being able to extend to that now.  Insider program should take care of its own, who are providing a valuable service testing future builds. 

Windows MVP 2010-2020 (ret).
Millions helped via my tutorials and personally in forums for 14 years.
Please notify me in my articles' Comments if a tutorial link is outdated or ads intrude.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated December 9, 2020 Views 8,300 Applies to: