error code 0xc000012f

My son's desktop computer has been running really slow.  Thought maybe it was a virus or just too much on it.  It shows plenty of memory available so I bought and loaded McAfee hoping to "catch" what ever virus was causing it to go slow.

After loading, however, I have a new problem.  Any time I try to open a Microsoft program (Word, Excel) I get an error message:  "not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error.  Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support.  Error status 0xc000012f."

Micosoft was preloaded on the hard drive when I purchased it.  I've tried uninstall/reinstall from the internet and it says there was an error and nothing was changed.

How do I fix this?

Hi Warric,

Error 0xc000012f means that you lack the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable files which are prerequisites of other programs such as Microsoft Office. Windows searches our database and automatically include these files during the update to allow you to run those programs that requires scripting.

To fix this error, we suggest installing this file and do not delete or disable any of these files to avoid other Microsoft programs from crashing or stop working properly after removing them.

You can still obtain an original copy of them through manual downloads from this website: The latest supported Visual C++ downloads.

Let us know if you have other concerns.

36 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 14, 2020 Views 16,436 Applies to: