Error Code: 0xc000000e after trying to boot from windows 10 recovery usb

Somehow Windows 10 disappeared (I have idea how)  from my Asus X551M laptop running windows 10, and I was met with error code 0xc0000185, so I made a recovery usb from my desktop, also running windows 10. The boot went fine, untill I was met with a blue screen that says:

Recovery

Your PC/Device needs to be repaired

The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors.

File: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Error Code: 0xc000000e

You'll need to use recovery tools. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or USB device), contact your Pc administrator or PC/Device manufacturer.

Press Enter to try again

Press F8 for Startup Settings

Pressing either enter or f8 just reloads the page.

Answer
Answer

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced. I will definitely help you with this.

Let's perform a “Startup Repair” using Windows 10 bootable DVD or USB drive and check if that helps. Initiating repair from CD/DVD may have different results than earlier since the source of boot is different now. So, I would suggest to perform the repair again and check if it helps.

1. Download the Windows 10 ISO on a working computer and perform a startup repair:
  2. Click HERE to download official ISO media for Windows 10 from Microsoft.
  3. Boot from the Windows 10 DVD/USB. You may refer to the Computer manufacturer BIOS manual for options to set the boot priority. 
  4. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer. Note: On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems, you can press the F8 key when the Boot Menu appears, Use the arrow keys to choose Repair your Computer in the Advanced Boot Options and then press ENTER. If prompted, select the Windows 10 installation to be repaired, and then click Next
  5. Select the Language and a keyboard input method and click Next.
  6. Select a User name and type your Password and click OK.
  7. Under System Recovery Options, click Startup Repair. Note: If the repair process detects a problem when it starts Windows 10, it will run Startup Repair to automatically fix the problems. Allow this process to complete. Startup Repair might prompt you to make choices as it tries to fix the problem, and if necessary, it might restart your computer as it makes repairs.
  8. On the Startup Repair window click Finish.
  9. Restart your computer if prompted.

You may also refer to the following article for reference:

Recovery options in Windows

Also, Please refer the links below and check if it helps.

How to: Troubleshoot common Setup and Stop Errors during Windows 10 Installation
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-troubleshoot-common-setup-and-stop-errors/324d5a5f-d658-456c-bb82-b1201f735683 

How to: A list of things to do if Windows 10 Setup fails. 
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-a-list-of-things-to-do-if-windows-10-setup/eba3c864-d9fe-4f8e-9468-81b1f89473ed

Hope this helps. If you face any issues with Windows, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

20 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 3, 2023 Views 22,451 Applies to: