Error code 0x8024D007

I am running windows xp and when I try to install the new update agent I get error 0x8024D007

Question Info

Last updated November 27, 2017 Views 10,456 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

0x8024D007 WU_E_SETUP_REGISTRATION_FAILED
Windows Update Agent could not be updated because regsvr32.exe returned an error

1) What Service Pack level is XP now on ? (SP1, SP2, SP3 )

2) What is the installed antivirus/security suite; is it's subscription current; when was the last time the system was scanned for the presence of malware ?

The error may be an indication that the installed security software is incompatible with the updating of the Windows Update Agent (WUA) or that malware may be present. Suggest you first configure a Clean boot of XP

Next, download  and save the Fixit from this KB article:How do I reset the Windows Update settings?

After you've restarted the system to the Clean boot state, open Windows Firewall in the Control Panel IF a 3rd party firewall was being used and ensure that the native XP firewall is now On. The system must be connected to the internet when the Fixit is run in it's Aggressive mode, which is the mode that you should run it in.

Once you know that the Windows Firewall is On , run MicrosoftFixit50202.msi. Restart when it finishes it's operation and leave the system in the Clean boot state for now. Click the Windows Update link on the Start Menu or open Internet Explorer and click Tools, Windows Update.

Can the system update now ?

Remember to undo the Clean boot steps once you're done with the above.

MowGreen Update Services - Consumer Security
MowGreen

*-343 FDNY -*
Never Forgotten

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.