Error Code 0x00000098

<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:1; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0cm; margin-right:0cm; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:10.0pt; line-height:115%;} @page Section1 {size:595.3pt 841.9pt; margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

Hi,

I keep on getting this error message when windows is trying to do an updated:

0x00000098 Error

ntoskvn1.exe file missing

Windows then request for the operating disk to be inserted so it can be repaired, I have gone through this process and I have been able to get back into my system. But when I try to install updates manually the following updates I still get the same error and have to repair again this has now happen on various occasions.

Security Update for windows vista (KB960803)

Security Update for windows vista (KB952004)

Update for windows mail junk-email filter (April 2009) (KB905866)
Security Update for windows vista (KB956572)

Security Update for windows vista (KB959426)

CMS IE7   WS V (KB963027)

SP1 (KB 951847)

I have had a look online and cannot find a solution to this error message. Can some advice the best way of getting my install the updates and any solutions to the error message?

Thanks

Answer
Answer

Hello Vince791025,

Apologies on the late reply.  Is this still an issue for you?

I have read the issue and I would suggest you to do a chkdsk /r from the command from by booting from the Vista Disc.To do so please follow the following steps:

1>Please insert the Vista Disc into the tray and restart the computer.
2>When you see " press any key to boot from the cd ", please press any key.
3>After that please click on the " repair your computer" option.
4>Now select " command prompt" and type the command ( chkdsk /r ) which will repair all the corrupted files.The computer will restart once the process is done.Please try to do the updates one at a time.

If you do not mind, please rerun the SFC Scan and send us the last 30 to 50 lines.

The steps to do the SFC scan are listed below:

Running the System File Checker…

1.     Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator.

2.     Click Continue or supply Administrator credentials if prompted.

3.     In the Command Prompt window type the following, and press Enter:

sfc /scannow

4.     You should see the following on-screen messages:

Beginning the system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.

Verification % complete.

5.     Once the scan has completed you will receive an onscreen message resembling one of the following:

…found no integrity violations

…found corruption but repaired it

…found corruption that it could not repair

6.     Please reply with the completion message that you received.

If the above SFC Scan produces errors and says it cannot repair them, stay at the command prompt and do the following:
At the command prompt, type in:
notepad sfcdetails.txt then press the ENTER key
copy/paste the last 30 to 50 lines here so that we may look at the contents of the log file. - Thank you

Please try these steps and let me know of the outcome.

Regards,
Shaolin Roger Thapa.
Microsoft answers vista forum

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 19, 2021 Views 11,675 Applies to: