Question

Q: Error 87 running "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" on Windows 7.

I followed some advice on the wiki System file check (SFC) Scan and Repair System Files to find out how to fix corrupted files that SFC couldn't (as I had previously already known about SFC) and came across this barrier.

Here is a log file of DISM, if you need. It includes information only from the execution of DISM described in this thread.

Also, in case you need it, is my Command Prompt. Instead of creating a screenshot, I just pasted it in plain text.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Image Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Error: 87

The restorehealth option is not recognized in this context.
For more information, refer to the help.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

Answer

A:

Hello, joel perry

The TechNet Library article "DISM Supported Platforms" notes that "...Some DISM commands are not supported on all target images. For information about specific DISM commands, see Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) Command-Line Options."; an admittedly-perfunctory perusal of the multiple articles linked in that one fails to reveal at a glance exactly what commands are supported by what OS, unfortunately - the documentation seems to follow the "new norm" of minimalization.  "DISM - Deployment Image Servicing and Management Technical Reference for Windows", the "section header" for the 51 pages of docs that includes all the articles I've linked in this post, specifically notes that the Windows 8 Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (Windows ADK) can be used to service both Windows 7 & Server 2K8R2 WIM's, but there are a variety of qualifiers stated elsewhere, e.g. "Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) Command-Line Options' states:

1) ".../AnalyzeComponentStore and /ResetBase can’t be used when servicing a version of Windows that is earlier than Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2 images."

2) ".../StartComponentCleanup can’t be used when servicing a version of Windows that is earlier than Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012 images.", and

3) ".../CheckHealth, /ScanHealth, /RestoreHealth, /Source, and /LimitAccess can’t be used when servicing a version of Windows that is earlier than Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012 images"

What is DISM?" mentions that "...To service inbox drivers in an offline image of Windows Vista with Service Pack 2 (SP2) or Windows Server 2008 with SP2, you must use the Windows 7 version of DISM or PkgMgr."

while "DISM Supported Platforms" also provides this: "Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) works on Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 8, Windows Server® 2012, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008 R2 images. However, the full functionality is available only when you are servicing a Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2 image. This is because the files and resources required to service any Windows image are located in the image, not on the technician computer. DISM will detect and use the resources available in the target image to update the image."

Although by no means a WIM-deployment professional myself, it would seem to me that you're presented with the limited options you're seeing simply because nothing else is supported by design,

and that using a later version of DISM (as outlined in "Copy DISM to Another Computer", which maintains that "...You can use deployment and imaging tools on a supported host operating system, such as Windows PE 3.0, even if you cannot install Windows ADK. You can copy the tools from a Windows ADK installation on your technician computer and configure the tools for use on a supported host computer.") would not provide the missing functionality... 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

151 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 154,887 Last updated: April 21, 2018 Applies to: