Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion and MS Software Shadow Copy Provider will not start.

Original title: MS Software Shadow Copy Provider will not start.

MS Software Shadow Copy Provider will not start. When you attempt to manually start, you get this message:

Could not start the MS Software Shadow Copy Provider

Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Please help. Thanks!

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi atlsteve,

1. When did the issue start?

2. Do you remember making any changes to the computer prior to this issue?

Step 1:

You may follow the steps mentioned in the article below which addresses, Error 1053 -Starting a Windows Service

FIX: You receive an "Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion" error message when you stop or pause a managed Windows service

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/839174/en-us

Step 2:

You may run a System File Checker (SFC) scan to fix any corrupt system files.

To do this, follow the steps mentioned below:

a. Click Start, All programs and then Accessories. Click Command Prompt.

b. In the Command Prompt window type “sfc /scannow” (without quotes) and then press Enter.

c. After the scan has completed, close the command prompt window, restart the computer and check for the issue.

For addition information, you may refer the following link:

Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310747

Hope this information is helpful.

Praseetha K
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our  
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Praseetha, I am most grateful for your help. You initially asked two questions. First, when did this issue start? The answer: a few days ago. Second, were any changes made to computer prior to issue? The answer: I did have to have a Windows overlay done because of problems that were occurring. Everything works great now except for this MS Shadow Copy Provider matter.

I followed the two steps you recommended. For step 1, in working with another MS professional, I had already installed Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1. Service Pack 1. In fact, earlier, I did the following:

Step 1: Remove .NET Framework using removal tool

1. Please download the tool from the following link:

http://cid-27e6a35d1a492af7.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Blog_Tools/dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip

Step 2: Install .NET Framework 1.1 and its updates
Please download and install the following updates in order.

Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistributable Package
http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/a/c/aac39226-8825-44ce-90e3-bf8203e74006/dotnetfx.exe

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1
http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/b/4/8b4addd8-e957-4dea-bdb8-c4e00af5b94b/NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework Service Pack 1(KB2416447)
http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/D/C/6DC6FFA8-4585-4192-A366-85712491322D/NDP1.1sp1-KB2416447-X86.exe

I also did Step 2 and ran System File Checker (SFC) scan to fix any corrupt system files. After completing, I restarted the computer. Unfortunately, the problem still exists: Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider cannot be started and a 1053 error is received.

At your convenience, please advise if there are any other steps I can take.

Thanks so much.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How much time would you estimate you spent on getting through that list of things you did?!

What is a Windows overlay (not familiar with that terminology)?

What was the problem that prompted this Windows overlay?

Are you just trying to start the Service for practice, or is there some reason you need it to be running?

Are you using any kind of third party backup program and if so, what is it?

After trying to start the MS Software Shadow Copy Provider Service manually, do you see something similar to this:

Could not start the MS Software Shadow Copy Provider service on the Local Computer.
Error 1053:  The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

If that is the case, check your Event Viewer System log to see if you also have an Event 7009 error message.  If you do, double click the error to open it so you can see the details.

To open the Event Viewer, click Start, Run and in the box enter:

eventvwr.msc

Click OK to open the Event Viewer and select the System Log and see if you see an error event message similar to this:

Event Type:    Error
Event Source:    Service Control Manager
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    7009
Description:
Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the MS Software Shadow Copy Provider service to connect.

Do, or do not. There is no try.

I decided to save up points for a new puppy instead of a pony!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What version of Windows is installed?
Hope this helps, Gerry Cornell
Gerry
Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire, England
Enquire Plan Execute

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks, Jose. Actually, it didn't take too much time at all. I just find solving issues like this interesting. By Windows overlay, I simply meant Windows was reinstalled as oppposed to reformatting drive. I need the Service to run for an online backup program to fully function.

After trying to start MS Software Shadow Copy Provider manually, I do get the very error message you quote above.

I did as you suggested and checked Event Viewer System log and there is the Event 7009 error. When I opened it, I get the error message below, very similar to what you indicated.

Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for MS Software Shadow Copy Provider service to connect.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp

Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, Gerry. Windows XP.

Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I was just curious and are you using some backup software?

I suspect that the Globally Unique Identifier (GUID) use to start the MS Software Shadow Copy Service and the GUID for the Service in the registry have gotten mismatched (somehow) and they need to be the same.

Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Component Services.

If the Windows Firewall complains with Windows Security Alert, click the Ask Me Later button.

Select Component Services, expand Computers, (click the plus sign), expand My Computer, expand and select COM+ Applications.

In the top bar, click View, Status to see the Name and Application IDs for the COM+ applications expanding the columns so you can see
the Application ID for the MS Software Shadow Copy Provider.

You will see the Application ID GUID for the MS Software Shadow Copy Service which is a string of numbers and letters enclosed in curly
braces that looks something like this:

{0EA08B29-CD1C-4FA3-BD71-7647A2D2D6F2}

Now check the command line used to start the MS Software Shadow Copy Service in the registry.

Since there is no undo or quit without saving in the Registry Editor, you may want to backup your registry first using this popular free tool:

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

regedit

Click OK to open the Registry Editor and navigate to the following key to see the settings for the MS Software Shadow Copy Service:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SwPrv

You can also choose to export this registry key to a file on your desktop to save it before making any adjustments.

Take a look at ImagePath variable and it will look something like this:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe /Processid:{0EA08B29-CD1C-4FA3-BD71-7647A2D2D6F2}

Notice that in this case where things work properly, the GUID from Component Services matches the GUID in the registry.

Take a look at  the GUID in the ImagePath value (double click it or expand the columns so you can see it) and compare it to the Application ID GUID noted earlier in Component Services.

If the GUID in the registry does not match the GUID in Component Services, double click the ImagePath value and edit it so it does match.

Close the registry editor and see if the MS Software Shadow Copy Service will start now.

If the Service starts, reboot the computer to be sure the changes "stick" and be sure the MS Software Shadow Copy Service starts automatically
(if that is how you have it configured) or manually on demand.

Do, or do not. There is no try.

I decided to save up points for a new puppy instead of a pony!

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

• COM+ Event System
  • COM+ System Application
  • Distributed Transaction Coordinator
  • MS Software Shadow Copy Provider
  • Volume Shadow Copy

What is the StartUp type for each of these services-select Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services. Right click on each and select Properties to get this information.

Is there any other backup software like Noprton Ghost installed or has there been?

Gerry
Enquire Plan Execute

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

A further thought.Please confirm that  Windows XP is the only operating system installed on the computer.

Gerry
Enquire Plan Execute

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Jose,

I did as you suggested and the GUID in the registry does not match the GUID in Component Services. I have not yet edited the registry. I am running backup software. At this point, the only problem I can find with the MS Software Shadow Copy Provider not working is that backups will not complete successfully if any files are open, for example Outlook Express. If I close all files, the backups take place just fine--and I've confirmed this with technician with backup company.

Therefore, I'm not sure that it's worth messing with registry for fear that some other issue might arise. But, I may try.

Thanks.

Steve

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 18, 2024 Views 27,795 Applies to: