Error 0x80073712

Hi there,

I am using WIndows 10 pro, upgraded from Windows 8.1 Pro. Everytime I try to update, I was noticed "Error 0x80073712" and it happened when I try to update KB3093266, KB3087040, KB3081449 and KB3081452

I have tried to use sfc/ scannow and DISM method. Nothing succeeded. Please help

Decquar Juliartono

Answer
Answer

Hi, Decquar.

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I understand your concern, and we in community will try to resolve your problem in the best way we can.

This issue occurs due to the following factors
1. Connection interruption between your computer and windows Update service.
2. Corrupted Windows Update Temporary folder.

Method 1:

1. Press Windows key + C to bring up the search Charms bar.
  2. Type Troubleshooter and click on Troubleshooting; click on the Settings tab below the search box.
  3. Click on the Find and Fix problems tile and then click on the view all button the left pane.
  4. Click on the Windows update troubleshooter and run it.

Close Windows Update, wait 10 to 15 minutes, and then run Windows Update again. You can also wait for Windows Update to run at its next scheduled time.

If issue persist, proceed to next method.

Method 2:  

If the troubleshooter didn’t detect any issues, I would suggest you to check if the Windows update service is running. Refer to these steps:

1. Press Windows key +R, type “services.msc”
  2. Locate the Windows update service and check if it is running.
  3. If not, right click on the service and click start to start the service.

Hope this information helps and let us know the status of the issue we will be glad to help you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi,

Thank you for posting your response. We appreciate the time and effort that you have invested in fixing the issue.

I would suggest that you try to Manually reset the Windows Updates Components once again and then reinitiate the Windows Update process.

Resetting Windows Update Components will fix corrupt Windows Update Components and help you to install the Windows Updates quickly. 

Please follow the below steps to reset the Windows Updates Components:

1. Press Windows Key + X on the keyboard and then select “Command Prompt (Admin)” from the menu.

2. Stop the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

3. Now rename the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folder. You can do this by typing the following commands in the Command Prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old

4. Now, let’s restart the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. Type the following commands in the Command Prompt for this. Press the ENTER key after you type each command.

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

5. Type Exit in the Command Prompt to close it and then restart the computer.

6.After restarting the computer, now retry to install Windows Updates.

Hope this information helps and let us know the status of the issue we will be glad to help you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2020 Views 781 Applies to: