Error 0x80070079: The semaphore timeout period has expired.

Original Title: Error 0x80070079: the semaphore timeout period has expired.

An unexpected error is preventing the operation." and error code "Error 0x80070079: the semaphore timeout period has expired.

I receive this message when i try to copy a 1.6GB file  to a new 8GB SDHC card SanDisk

I have tried to format the card , but it will only Quick format. I've tried NTSC and FAT32 but it does the same thing.

I have Windows Vista Home Premium, 32 bit system

Answer
Answer

Hi bumbed out,

Do you have wireless network enabled?

There are many suggestions that fixed the issue two of which are listed below:

Ø Changing Router Security

Ø Changing antivirus/firewall setting

Method 1: Change router security setting.

Change router from WPA-PSK (WiFi Protected Access, Pre-Shared Key) to Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP). This seems to have helped this certain issue.

For more information about these security options, read: What are the different wireless network security methods?

For information on how to change the setting, please refer your router manual or get in touch with the router manufacturer.

Method 2: Disable your firewall/antivirus

Disable security software such as antivirus/firewall for test purpose to see if this is interfering with the transfer.

For more discussion on this issue, see: Error 0x80070079: The semaphore timeout period has expired

Note: Running the computer without firewall or the anti-virus software is a potential threat to the computer; make sure to enable the security software after completing the troubleshooting steps and after identifying the issue.

Regards,

Shinmila H - Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2024 Views 74,841 Applies to: