Error 0x80040705, source: dotNet in Windows Live Essential Setup.

Split from this thread.

Error 0x80040705, source: dotNet in Windows Live Essential Setup.

I am getting the same error code, but with Windows 7, if I click on the WLM icon BEFORE the desktop icons are refreshed, I get the message 'WLM cannot open' or similar. If I then wait until after the refresh, WLM starts normally. Weird or what!

TB

Original Title: Error 0x80040705

Answer
Answer

Error code given is:  0x80041161.

That's a completely different error from the one in your original post. Were you not seeing error 0x80040705 before? Or did that just come along for the ride from the old thread you posted in, which has since been deleted?

The error you're seeing is usually returned after an unsuccessful attempt to start the program. It means that the Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant service isn't running. This service authenticates the user to the live.com servers, and is required in most circumstances.

A repair of the installation will often correct this. Type wlarp into the start search box and press Enter. Choose the repair option, and when it's finished reboot the computer. See whether Windows Live Mail will now launch properly. If it doesn't, follow these instructions: on versions of Windows 7 other than Home, with all Windows Live programs closed,

1. Press the Windows key, type services.msc and press Enter.
  2. Locate the wlidsvc.exe service and double-click on it to open its properties sheet.
     Set Startup to Automatic (Delayed start). This will prevent the service from trying to start before Windows is completely loaded.
    Ensure that the Service status is Started. If it isn't, click Start.
  3. Close the properties sheet and the Services snap-in.
  4. Launch Windows Live Mail.  

Noel Burgess MVP (Ret'd)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 20, 2023 Views 874 Applies to: