Error: 0C1900101-0x20017 The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with and error during BOOT operation while upgrading to Windows 10 Pro

Just tried for the third time to upgrade from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro.  Continue to receive: "0C1900101-0x20017 The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with and error during BOOT operation."  I have called MS, waited on hold twice.  The last technician I spoke with told me he would have my previous technician call me back in a few minutes.  That was over an hour ago.  I am a small business and cannot afford all this malarkey.  They wiil stop support 7 Pro in 2020 which is a compliance problem for me because of all of the non-public information I deal with.  Otherwise I would keep Windows 7 Pro since it works very well.    I have visited these support sites, and it appears this problem has been common at least as far back as 2016!  Anyone have any suggestions?  Or maybe its time to switch to iOS.

***Modified title from: Upgrade to MS Windows 10 Errors***

Answer
Answer

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are getting an error while upgrading the computer from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. As per the error message, an error that begins with 0xC1900101 is usually a driver error.

Before upgrading the computer to Windows 10, we need to make sure that the PC and the software you are running is compatible with Windows 10. You can get in touch with the software publisher and the PC manufacturer to check the compatibility with Windows 10.

However, I suggest you to refer the troubleshooting steps mentioned below:

Hardware clean boot:

I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and disable the devices is Device Manager:

1. Press Windows key + R. This will open Run. Alternatively, you can go to Start and search for Run.

2. In Run dialog box, type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.

3. Now expand Display adapters, Printers, Sound, video and game controllers one by one.

4. Right click on the devices inside the section and click on Disable device.

5. If asked for restart click on restart later and disable all the devices.

6. Close the device manager window.

Once all the devices are disabled, you can perform clean boot. Performing a clean boot will start the computer with minimal set of drivers and programs, to determine whether a background program is causing the issue. Some of the Startup programs will not load after performing a clean boot on the computer. However, that functionality will return when you reset the computer to start normally after finishing the troubleshooting.

To perform a clean boot on the computer refer to the article How to perform a clean boot in Windows.

After performing clean boot, proceed with the installation.

Note: Please refer the section Reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting to boot the computer in to normal mode after troubleshooting.

You can also refer the steps mentioned in the article Get help with Windows 10 upgrade and installation errors

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 17, 2023 Views 491 Applies to: