EFI Installation of Windows 10 32-bit on Late 2006 iMac

I have a Late 2006 iMac 17-inch 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. It has OS X Lion installed, the latest version it can run, which is very outdated. I am planning on installing windows 10 32-bit and using the bootcamp drivers for windows 7 32-bit. However, I would like to completely replace OS X. If I install it in CMS then it will take a long time to boot if my info is correct. I would prefer to install it in EFI mode. The mac has 32-bit EFI so windows 10 32-bit should be able to boot and it kind of does.

When I boot a 32-bit install of windows 10 from USB it goes to (loading files...) and after that finishes it hangs on a black screen with blacklight lit. The keyboard is also connected to something because I can turn CAPS LOCK on and off. I am wondering about the possibilities of booting the install in EFI mode or somehow converting my CSM installation into EFI. I am not interested in installing a bootloader to then load windows, like rEFInd, to reduce the boot time.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

That may work but it's not booting in EFI mode.  Before I install windows like that I'd like to rule out all possibilities of EFI booting. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 31, 2023 Views 351 Applies to: