Easy, free (or cheap) Backup Suggestions (2023) Windows 10

Your files should always be backed up because a hard drive can die at any time without notice. Don't be one of the many I've seen who are crushed by the loss of irreplaceable family pictures or valuable documents! Some suggestions are here based on helping for 14 years in forums with what works best:

1) You can sync your Desktop, Documents and Pictures folder using OneDrive Backup, or just drag valuable files into OneDrive folder, offering 5gb free with additional space for cheap, 1tb with MS 365 subscription: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/116029-turn-off-folder-protection-onedrive-windows-10-a.html

I have been syncing all my User folders in OneDrive for ten years without problem, using this additional method: Sync, Backup and Store Any/All User Folders to the Cloud with - Microsoft Community. In addition I have a secondary real time User folder backup using Google Drive Desktop.

2) Google Drive has a new Desktop program that allows you to choose User folders (Documents, Pictures, etc.) to sync up to 15gb for free to their cloud in real time so it always has the latest version: https://support.google.com/drive/answer/10838124?hl=en You can sync your Android phone too with this.

3) In addition I'd have an on-site hard copy backup. The best way to do this is to sort all of your files into their User folders and then drag or copy them periodically to another hard drive, or better yet an USB external or flash drive which you keep unplugged to avoid ransomware infection.

4) Besides your files you should save a System Image back up to use in place of reinstall in 20 minutes. The best free alternative is Macrium which is the choice of all experts because of it's drag-n-drop simplicity which always works: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7363/macrium-reflect-is-a-free-and-easy-to-use-backup-utility/ You can even use the Macrium program to mount and extract files from this image so it can serve as both image and file backup too. In the rare case an image will ever not start, the rescue media it makes for you has advanced Startup Repair.

The modern way to do this is have a separate data partition where you link your User folders this way: How to move user folders to different location on Windows 10 | Windows Central

This keeps the C partition Windows image smaller for storage purposes, so if Windows ever becomes irreparable you can restore C from recovery media, and your files will be current and safe in their own separate partition. If they are left on C they would be dated from when the image was taken.

5) You can also use built-in File History as an automated backup method, or turn it off:

Turn On or Off File History in Windows 10 | Tutorials

Here are strategies for minimizing File history size on drive:

Reduce File History size on Windows 10 - gHacks Tech News

How to free up space when the File History drive is full | Digital Citizen

If you were referred here from another thread, please post back results in that thread. Otherwise you can ask questions and share information in the Comments section below, including any broken links.

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

Was this article helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this article?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this article?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I Cloned My Windows C Drive Using Macrium Fearing That My Hard Drive May Soon Die. THIS IS Mostly Due To ALL That ITS Been Put Through By The Windows Operating System... In Fact There Has Been A Pending Update With Issues For Weeks NOW!!! My Question IS Since I Cloned The C Drive And ITS Showing Up As Drive F... Will IT Take Over IF My Hard Drive Fails??? I Was Able To Put It In Line As The 2nd Boot Option And Its On A USB... Will It Work???

2 people found this comment helpful

·

Was this comment helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this comment?

Unplug the C drive and set the clone first to boot in Windows boot manager priority.

if it doesn't start run Boot Corrector from the Macrium rescue disc.

Post a new thread about your Updates issue are in the Windows Performance category and post back a link here for me to look at it.

Windows MVP 2010-2020 (ret).
Millions helped via my tutorials and personally in forums for 14 years.
Please notify me in my articles' Comments if a tutorial link is outdated or ads intrude.

1 person found this comment helpful

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Greg,

now for a month I am struggling to get my update 22H2 ! I even tried with the help of MS support chat , this was not successful.

I was told this update is the Win 11 update and my pc dose not meet the min requirements for it.

This is OK with me I never wanted win 11 anyway, so how can I stop the update asking me to do it? my Pc is so slow and sluggish since I Have this problem.

My Pc is intel i7 and RAM 8GB, running I would love to backup my system, but I am not a computer expert or I am only a user of the pc, so I hesitate to do something I do not really understand. I have NORTON 360 with possible backup now for few years but I never used it. I have win10 pro 21H1 OS b 19043.2193 which is trying to istall 22H2 but not succeeding, it stops at different stages (20-99%)

any suggestion?

Thanks in advanced

I am sorry I jumped into an existing conversation, I did not know how to contact you directly?

2 people found this comment helpful

·

Sorry this didn't help.

No expert anywhere recommends Norton except to uninstall it. It could very well be the cause of your problems as it bloats Windows and causes issues. Use built-in Defender which always offers best Windows performance with least issues, and is from Microsoft who knows how to protect their OS best.

22H2 is for both Windows 10 and 11. To install it on Windows 10 use the ISO following these steps for Overcoming Version Upgrade Failures: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-windows_install/overcoming-windows-10-upgrade-failures/682df9cf-aecf-4d52-8df7-19e9f8dba4cc

But first Go over Windows using this checklist to make sure the install is set up correctly, optimized for best performance, and any needed repairs get done: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-performance/windows-10-performance-and-install-integrity/75529fd4-fac7-4653-893a-dd8cd4b4db00 Take your time and don't miss any steps.

If you need further help beyond this post a new thread in the Performance category here: NEW POST

Please notify me in my articles' Comments if a tutorial link is outdated or ads intrude.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you very much Greg for taking time to give me plenty of information on my case, I wish you a merry Christmas and a happy new year 2023.

I am not sure I will be able to follow all the steps but I will start soon to try.

Thanks again

Racin

3 people found this comment helpful

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Their are many backup software available like acronics and Easeus you can try them. and you can also try creating System Restore point and use 5GB free plan of One Drive

Sorry this didn't help.

Right backup software is also amazing backup software you can use in 2023. It is the safest and secure cloud backup solution available right now. Using this you can set the backup time like 12 hours, 20 hours and create backup of all important data in every 12 hours.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

No expert anywhere recommends Norton except to uninstall it. It could very well be the cause of your problems as it bloats Windows and causes issues. Use built-in Defender which always offers best Windows performance with least issues, and is from Microsoft who knows how to protect their OS best.

22H2 is for both Windows 10 and 11. To install it on Windows 10 use the ISO following these steps for Overcoming Version Upgrade Failures: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-windows_install/overcoming-windows-10-upgrade-failures/682df9cf-aecf-4d52-8df7-19e9f8dba4cc

But first Go over Windows using this checklist to make sure the install is set up correctly, optimized for best performance, and any needed repairs get done: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-performance/windows-10-performance-and-install-integrity/75529fd4-fac7-4653-893a-dd8cd4b4db00 Take your time and don't miss any steps.

If you need further help beyond this post a new thread in the Performance category here: NEW POST

Hi Greg,

It has been a bit of time since last post regarding my update.

During this time I tried to solve my problem with your help and suggestions, unfortunately I could not follow all these suggestion due to my little knowledge on how to do ! So I decided to install a new WIN10 on a new SSD HD and now I can work normal again. It was very frustrating, not to be able to do any work on the PC because of the problem.

Thank you very much for your support and advises which I really tried but unfortunately failed.

I hope to be able to do some backup of my functional PC now and I will see what I can do.

Best regards

RBey

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you Greg for your thorough answer. Befor I started to use Windows backup system i tried to copy files to the external disk or Onedrive but that failed because my C:- disk at that point had too little free space. Copying requires the system disk has the same amount free space as the copied entity size. I then bought a larger SSD disk and cloned the system disk.

In fact you did not answer my question: Why does Windows backup STOP when it should bacup an encrypted file. I verified this by moving the encrypted file to a folder, that was not subject to backup. Now I have a complete backup.

Sorry this didn't help.

Please respond in your actual help thread as this is one of the tutorials I gave you.

Windows Backup is from Windows 7 and only included in Windows 10/11 to import files from Windows 7. Neither it or File History are recommended any longer by any expert anywhere.

Copying files to external should never require any extra amount of space on C or the internal drive. OneDrive requires space on the drive where you have placed it when you first sign in and are given the choice where to put it.

Sorry this didn't help.

Forum Article Info

Last updated May 16, 2024 Views 3,924 Applies to: