DVD/CD combo drive not reading DVDs anymore, still reads CDs

I just popped a DVD into a CD/DVD combo drive that I've been using for years and it refuses to recognize that there is anything on the disc.
It also seems to take a long time to mount it.

I've tried device manager and "update the driver", but it says I have the best driver.

I've been using this CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo drive for years and it hasn't had a problem. I've tried several burned DVD-Rs and two commercial DVD movie discs and I get the same results as in this picture

However, I've also tried several CD-Rs both music and audio and it recognizes them perfectly.
I've also tested the DVDs in my Windows 7 computer and it recognizes them without issue. I was able to open a text file on the data DVD and see a few seconds of a movie before I closed it.

I can't recall the last time I watched a movie DVD, and I THINK the last time I used a DVD on this computer was when I played Baldur's Gate II, which according to the save files was back in June since I've been playing something CD-based instead.
I've only burned DVD versions of Baldur's Gate I, II, Planescape Tormenet, and Final Fantasy VII and VIII from the CDs for this old computer (it came with Windows 98SE, it's NOT a new system), so it's not that hard to determine when I last used a DVD on it.

I haven't noticed any issues using the drive as a CD-ROM, but haven't used the cd-burner aspect or the DVD-reader aspect in several months. I generally use data DVDs on a newer Windows 7 computer and only use this one for some older games or music that usually use CDs, although it's primary purpose is to share my parallel printer with the newer Windows 7 system that lacks a parallel port and be a central server for my resume, cover letters, and anything else I might want to access from either my modern desktop or the laptop.

I'd think this was more a hardware problem if it weren't for the fact that it's reading CDs without a problem.

P.S. I broke out the CD/DVD lens cleaner and it had no effect.
Answer
Answer
Optical drives use different lasers for CDs and DVDs.  It sure sounds as if your DVD laser has burned out, but it could simply be dirty.

DVDs uses lasers with a wavelength of 640 (or perhaps 650) nanometers.  CD lasers use 780 nanometers.

-----
LemP
Volunteer Moderator
MS MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2006-2009
Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC) 2011-2012

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi.

As LemP says the drives use different lasers for the different discs.  I have come across this problem a few times and replacing the drive is your only option.

Cheers.

Information provided to be used at your own risk. If you think my answers are helpful please mark so

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 26, 2018 Views 270 Applies to: