Dual Monitors via USB C stopped working

I have been using 2 x HP 25f displays that were connected to my Acer TravelMate X349-G2-M via this USB C to HDMI adaptor https://www.comsol.com.au/Products-by-Category/USB-Type-C-Cables-and-Adapters/COCMHD02  This set up worked fine for about 5 months with no problems... until suddenly a month ago it didn't.

Now display settings show the 2 displays as "disabled" with no way to "enable" them, regardless of chosing extend or duplicate. In the Intel Graphics Command Centre, again you can see both external monitors, but they are "disabled". Selecting "enable" changes nothing and they go back to "disabled".

This didn't coinside with a Windows (10) update to roll back. I have updated the graphics driver and updated the system as much as possible (including BIOS). This hasn't worked. I've uninstalled/reinstalled drivers for the adapter, the USB port and displays. This hasn't worked either.

If the monitors are connected individually through the single HDMI port on the laptop, they work fine.

I can connect the USB C to HDMI adaptor to another similar laptop and it works fine.

I've searched through heaps of how tos and such, and no suggestions have worked so far.

Any other suggestions.....?

Hi TP. I'm Greg, 10 years awarded Windows MVP, specializing in Installation, Performance, Troubleshooting and Activation, here to help you.

Try the suggestions here for what works for dual monitors:

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/604469...

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/582179...

https://community.acer.com/en/kb/articles/53-wi...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqVRaMC_pQg

Based on the results you post back I may have other suggestions if necessary.

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately there wasn't anything useful in the links you provided.

My set up has been working for about 5 months, so I have successfully set up USB C to dual HDMI adaptor and 2 additional monitors. It was a simple case of plug and play like the video, but it doesn't work any more.

Below is what I see in Display Settings - 1 is my laptop display and 2 & 3 are the external monitors. When selecting 2 or 3, they show as "Disconnect this Display" under Multiple Displays. Choosing any other option in this drop down box doesn't work, the change just reverts back to "Disconnect this Display".

Hope this clarifies! Thank you.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Where are the results from the steps I gave you to perform? I asked for results to be reported so I'd know what else to suggest. I already understood your issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Apologies! I couldn't really see any instructions other than how to plug in a monitor.... which I've done.

My findings are the above screen shot of display settings when I plug in the monitors. This is what I see when I follow the process outlined in the 3rd link you provided.

Additionally if it's helpful, the monitors have VGA out, but the laptop doesn't have any VGA ports. Neither monitors or laptop have display port connections either.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Why not use the preferred HDMI port for your primary monitor and then USB-C to HDMI for the other? The adapter you picture shows both HDMI plugging into USB C which is a splitter and when there's a splitter involved it's usually the problem here.

If I'm misunderstanding the configuration you have then let me know. Connect Primary Monitor to HDMI, secondary to USB>HDMI and see what happens.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 1, 2024 Views 7,853 Applies to: